• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGR vs PSC

The Box

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any preference or opinion between the AGR boxes and the PSC boxes? I don't want to go to hydro-steering and it is still my dd. Are they pretty similar or would one work better then the other for my application.

believe me I have a long list of things I would much rather do. My box is worn and making for some irritating driving characteristics so I figured go ahead an upgrade. I have a problem with taking any excuse to drop money into the pit. I dont know much about hydro assist or full hyro except that I drove a buddys tj with full hydo steering and when I had to turn the wheel fast it wouldn't turn more than a certian speed almost resulting in a wreck. It kind of turned me off to that setup, plus the biggest tires I will ever see would be 35s max. Im on 32s now so I dont really need anythng too serious. I could be wrong in my logic im not an expert on this, just tryin to bounce some ideas around and see what yall think.
:cheers:

I've heard bad stuff about AGR...IIRC, the guy who owns/operates PSC used to work for AGR, and when they sold out and started making junk, he made his own company...

dont quote me though...I just remember PSC being awesome stuff.

I've had an AGR pump in mine for a couple years now, no issues ever.

I run 33s and an automatic locker in the front. There's been times I've literally picked my 250lb ass up out of the seat hanging on the wheel. I'm in the middle of hydro ASSIST now. Your buddies setup is done incorrectly for road-ability. Probably fine for trail rigs, but not safe by any means. If your box is taking a crap, you can spend $14 on a seal rebuild kit. I just re-did mine, it was a little bit of a PITA, but way better than a $2-300 box you'll never utilize. If you go my route and decide to tap it "just in case," make sure you buy two taps and cut one down. They break much easier once bottomed out than you'd think.
Here's a link:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55711&highlight=hydro+cheaper

scorpio_vette said:
2 AGR boxes and 2 AGR pumps in about 2ish years.................NEVER putting AGR parts on my jeep again.

X2 - I believe I went through 3 gearboxs, and 2 pumps in 2.5 years. In all situations AGR customer service admitted the defective parts and replaced. However, I had to pay for return shipping and all the labor (mine) to keep swapping the parts. Never did they offer to pay for return shipping or provide anything towards my labor.

It was one of the worst vendor experiences I've ever had.

Search the web on AGR, to review dozens and dozens of complaints starting after the orginal owner sold the company. I believe that person then started PCS.

I've heard excellent feedback on PCS :)

wow, im glad I asked because I had been looking at the AGR stuff. Also good point about tapping it for the option to go to assist later. Great info guys I appriciate the help as always, thank you.

xj4fun said:
Never did they offer to pay for return shipping or provide anything towards my labor.

It was one of the worst vendor experiences I've ever had.

consider this a learning fee on a life lesson...

Why does everyone think that vendors should pay return shipping on stuff? everyone wants something for free...

Warranty on everything else in the world starts at the door of the place that you're dropping it off... Why do people expect the off road world to be different?

XJ_ranger said:
Why does everyone think that vendors should pay return shipping on stuff? everyone wants something for free...

Warranty on everything else in the world starts at the door of the place that you're dropping it off... Why do people expect the off road world to be different?

If you go buy a car, and find it won't start, you should pay to ship it back to the factory? This seems a bit odd to me, but OK..

Back