• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough ride

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i finally put on my lift wednesday, i had the RC 4.5 add a leaf, used another coil isolator in the front and it gave my 5.5 in lift, now in the rear i used a s-10 pack like in the "$11 leaf pack" write up some one had on here a while back plus the shackles in the kit. i put it in the last hole, so in the rear i got a total of 6.5 in the rear. it rides rough as hell. i put the pads between the leafs and sanded them down and all, any reason why it rides so rough? when i hit R.R. tracks i almost seems like the rear comes off the ground. should i wait it out and see if it unstiffens or pull the packs apart and take out a leaf?:dunno:

Do you have long arms or drop brackets? What kind of shocks do you have? What trackbar do you have?

i have the arms that came with the lift, and the shocks that came with it also, the shocks were the same as the ones with the 3in add a leaf,

userbmx1315 said:
i have the arms that came with the lift, and the shocks that came with it also, the shocks were the same as the ones with the 3in add a leaf,

Well you need drop brackets or long arms at that height for one. Are your shocks the correct length?

Well your at 6.5 in the rear with shocks that are two inches too short, thats why it feels a little bouncy. Take a leaf out. Order drop brackets.

which leaf should i take out? xjmain,s10main,2nd,3rd,xj overload, got almost 2 extra sets of xj leafs, and 2 sets of add a leafs one new the other used,

userbmx1315 said:
which leaf should i take out? xjmain,s10main,2nd,3rd,xj overload, got almost 2 extra sets of xj leafs, and 2 sets of add a leafs one new the other used,

Wow that thing is stiff! i'd take out a main or two.

With 2 main leafs it's going to ride like crap! and flex like crap also.. take the extra main leaf out.. according to your post your 1" higher in the back anyway.see where that put's you height wise and you need some drop brackets or longer arms at that height...and a sye would be advisable also.

i did they same thing as the $11 leaf pack, it hase 2 mains also. one xj one s10. i know a sye is needed i'm looking into that

Yes. To get mine to ride well at just over 5" i used less leafs and added a lift shackle. Worked great.

I disagree about the 2 main leaf thing, I have built MANY bastard packs, and have never had this problem. Yes, putting a lot of leaves, not properly staggering the lengths, shocks, etc, etc... will effect the ride, but a second main (with the eyes cut off of course) isn't a bad thing. It helps take the load off the ends of the main leaf....ever seen a military wrap?

I can't believe no one has mentioned shackle angle. This is the #1 reason many bastard packs ride rough! Once you arch the XJ main with the other leaves, it isn't long enough to get a good shackle angle.

I decided to just relocate my shackle hangar to fix this (as others here have done, even with aftermarket packs)...while I was at it I decided I may as well run a longer spring. I am running full f-150 packs (pretty sure they are a higher spring rate than an s-10), and with a correct shackle angle, it rides and flexes great!

More details here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901160&highlight=shackles+question

Matches my front Rusty's springs well, and feels nice and stable.
DSCF2013.jpg

What shocks are they?If its their gas shock,take them off and check the ride!

for mine (about 3.5 in) I used the XJ main, S10 Main, XJ 2nd, 3rd, and overload. It is ok, except for my shackle angle sucks... I'm researching how to fix that...

Back