• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lighting problem

jolly_rogger

NAXJA Forum User
i am having issues with my 1988 xj. I can't find what is wrong and why the running lights and rear tail's are not working. sometimes if you turn off the jeep with the headlights on and then turn them off headlights they are still on, you then have to turn the ignition off and then on to turn off the lights.
here is my list of what does and doesn't work

rear back up lights work
rear brake lights work
front and rear turn signals work
head lights work
dash lights don't work
front and rear parking lights don't work
tail lights don't, completly dark.
bulbs all good
fuses good

the reason the headlights stay on after you turn the key off is the headlamp delay module.They should go off automatically after a little while in delay mode(meaning if the lights are left on at the same time the key is turned off)

after close inspection of the fuse box i have found that a few fuses are not or barley touching the conections with in the fuse box itself. how hard is it to remove the old fuse box to inspect the rear of the unit ? also i have found that a conection for the front lights is coverd in grease and oil, this is located on the drivers side near the grill in the engine compartment. would this cause the rear lights not to work aswell ? i replaced the headlight switch with another from a parts yard, and still no change. i could have pulled a bad switch.

Your problem is in the fuse box.
You'll need to replace the contacts.I've done this recently on my 89 not too hard but kinda cramped.You need to loosen the two screws on the inside and one bolt in the middle of the connector on the engine side.
Seperate the two halves and go to work.Take the steering column support rods out so you can swing the fuse box down lower,it'll be easier to work on.
I bought an auxilliary fuse panel at an auto parts store for about $4 and used the contacts out of that for the fuse box in the jeep.Also with heater blowing on high for a few seconds put your finger on the blower fuse and see if it's hot.If it is then your wires are corroded causing resistance.Check all other fuses for heat aswell.If you really don't want to replace the contacts now you could try putting a fuse tap over the fuse to make it wider or take a small flat head screwdriver and pry the contact out a little...battery disconnected ofcourse.

The connector near the grill on the drivers side is a problem spot for older xj's like your 88 and my 89.I cut the connector out(couldn't believe the amount of corrosion in there!!!)and soldered/heatshrunk the wires back together.And no that connector wouldn't explain why you have no rear lights.That connector is for the parking lights,turn signals,and headlights.

Last edited:
thanks outlander i will try the heater trick. i just got this xj a week and a half ago and i knew that it had a few problems but thought they would be easy fixes and the price was worth it. i love these xj's so much i am going out of town tomorrow to get another one from a freind (a 1990).

outlander said:
the reason the headlights stay on after you turn the key off is the headlamp delay module.They should go off automatically after a little while in delay mode(meaning if the lights are left on at the same time the key is turned off)
Mine does that too, it took a minute to go off.

Back