• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping noise in front end!!!!!

Chad29860

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have a question about a popping noise in front end. I have fixed all the problems in the front suspension including all the bushings. Installed a used trac bar for now that is in good shape. Replaced two bad tie rod ends and welded the control arm mount where the welds had come loose. I still have a popping noise coming from the front drivers side. Its sounds like the steering box. Is there any common problems with the box on these XJ's and what can I do to fix it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers I will check those things tomorrow morning and keep yall posted.

track bar tre.

lancey3 said:
track bar tre.

I dont believe its the trac bar because I took one off a cherokee that was wrecked in the rear with fairl low mile and no mods. When I put it on I replaced the bushing at axle side and frame side was good and stiff. I originally thought it was the trac bar because the TRE was real bad and that is why I swapped in another factory one intall I can order my Rustys Offroad Trac bar package with the frame stiffener and all.

Frame side trac bar bracket. The bolts really are good at working themselves loose.

Thanks again I will check all your guys ideas tomorrow and update you as to what it was or if its still doing it.

Well I checked the Trac bar mount bolts and the steering box bolts. Both were alittle loose maybe 1/4 turn each but not drastically loose. I snugged them all and the noise is gone. I jacked the front up and checked the joints on the axle shafts and they are tight. Ball joints are tight and TRE's are tight. Double checked the upper control arm rear bolts and they are still tight. I believe it was a combo between the trac bar mount and steering box. I am fixing to order my new bumper which extends back to the steering box bolt and I am going to buy the C-Roc inside frame plate also.

Thanks too everyone who gave me options to look at. I know I wouldnt have thought about those bolts being loose. I would have definately looked over that. Thanks again!!! Give me holler if I can ever help any of you with anything.

"The Chad"
89 Cherokee XJ
4" Lift 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws

If I were you I'd toss some thread locker on there just for peace of mind. I'd guess they'll work themselves loose again in the future.

Thats true but before too long I am going to have it all apart for bumpers and frame stiffeners and also going with heavy duty trac bar mount and adj. trac bar so I will probably do that then.

Back