• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kayakers

dphillips

See,what had happened was
Just wondering what you guys are wearing if you go out any during the winter months. I'm thinking of something that would help in case of an occasional dunk in the cold water. Not really looking at blowing a wad on a full dry suit though. What are my choices?

i wear a wet suit under my clothes. coat, ear muffs, night cap, water proof gloves. i take a spare set of clothes and coat in a dry bag that i keep in the back hatch.

dphillips said:
Just wondering what you guys are wearing if you go out any during the winter months. I'm thinking of something that would help in case of an occasional dunk in the cold water. Not really looking at blowing a wad on a full dry suit though. What are my choices?

You're in GA. A heavy or medium wetsuit would be fine. Im not sure what the cost difference is between a drysuit and a wetsuit is though. The kind of paddling you do should play a part in your decision also. For instance, if you do off shore type of paddling, I would go with nothing less than a drysuit just because its likely you may be in the water longer than you may be if you flip it on a lake, and ocean water is likely colder than lake water. Drysuit or wetsuit, those are about your only choices. I guess you could consider just a wetsuit top or wetsuit bibs if you dont want the whole thing.
To answer the original question, I dont go out in the winter

Ray H said:
You're in GA. A heavy or medium wetsuit would be fine. Im not sure what the cost difference is between a drysuit and a wetsuit is though. The kind of paddling you do should play a part in your decision also. For instance, if you do off shore type of paddling, I would go with nothing less than a drysuit just because its likely you may be in the water longer than you may be if you flip it on a lake, and ocean water is likely colder than lake water. Drysuit or wetsuit, those are about your only choices. I guess you could consider just a wetsuit top or wetsuit bibs if you dont want the whole thing.
To answer the original question, I dont go out in the winter

go with the bibs, the work just fine. just don't forget the dry bag!! what's wrong with ya, scared!

You can buy cheap body glove wet suits at big box sports stores. This time of year you can also find them hanging in Goodwill and thrift shops real cheap. Second time around sports stores also sell them. Thick ones are hard to move in but you can cut the arms off and they still hold up well. You can cut the legs into shorts also if you find a cheap thick overall farmer john style. Look on Craigslift for scuba dive gear also to find a wetsuit. Scuba shops are high but they used to sell a Darlex suit that was 1mm thick and was great for spray and a quick dunk. You can move great in those.

Back