• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline Help.

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I did a search and I really did not find what I was looking for. So I thought I would throw this question out there and see if anyone can help.

For a while now I have herd what I think is some kind or drive line slack. When I get up to 50 mph or more and let go of the gas. I hear and feel some kind of slack in the drive line when I put my foot back on the gas. So it only happens at acceleration after cruising for a bit. It feels like it is trying to catch up and then goes away once speed is increased. It does it all the time, but not below 50 mph. Have not been able to tell if it is coming from the front or the rear.

I am thinking it is one of the drive shafts, but I am no mechanic. Any advise would be great.

Alex

You'll have to get under there and inspect them. Check for play. Look for a red dust around the caps on the u-joints. When u-joints go bad, if they're dry, they produce a red dust which is basically rust dust. This is on your 2000 I assume?

Could be loose motor mounts or a transmission mount. If they go, they'll let the whole driveline move and bump into stuff.

Every XJ I have ver had (10+ of them) had made similar noises when getting on or off the gas at speed. These things have very sloppy drivetrains, even if all u joints are good.

Yes it is a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Thanks for the advise I will look over the mounts and u joints when the weather get warm. It has done this for some time and I just wanted to finally know what it could be. I will let you know what I find.

The rear drive shaft has no play in it when in park, but the front one does. I can rock it back and forth. Could this be the problem? At the time I did this the XJ did not have the 4X4 engaged.

Last edited:
Back