• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm looking for drawings or dimensions to build a hitch for my 99

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
I would have posted this in the fab forum, but apparently I can't post there. I am looking for an autocad, solid works file, or just a basic drawing that can help me build a hitch for my 99. A picture of an XJ hitch would help me as well. I can do without a drawing for the fab, but I'd prefer to have a rough idea of what I need to get, and include in the design. :thumbup:

Thanks,
Bryson

OMG,sorry to say,if you cant figure out a simple hitch,I dont think you should be building one.
G_14345G_CL_1.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on the type of welder you have, consider cutting the side plates for the main tube to pass through. That way it can be welded on both sides.

RCP Phx said:
OMG,sorry to say,if you cant figure out a simple hitch,I dont think you should be building one.

Agreed.

Bryson,

Unless you are building some type of high clearance hitch, it really isn't worth the effort. An early model hitch will fit on a '99. I picked my draw-tite up from the junk yard for $35, and spend a few more bucks on flat black paint.

If you want to fab something, You can easily make nut strips for the hitch to bolt to. It's basically a thin strip of metal with nuts welded to it. If you plan on making a high clearance hitch, I'd still start with an existing hitch and build off of that. Take a trip to your nearest junk yard. Bring some PB blaster and a breaker bar. Those hitch bolts could be rusty, depending on where you live. If you are in Denver, there are a few places off Radcliffe and Santa Fe. That's where I got mine...

RCP Phx said:

Ummm. I actually manage a fab shop. Drawings simply save me time. Sheesh. :twak:

I would rather build one than buy one. Why? Well, I have everything in terms of steel supply, and I have the means to build it.

example:
Img_1980.jpg

:conceited
Thanks.

If you want to fab something, You can easily make nut strips for the hitch to bolt to. It's basically a thin strip of metal with nuts welded to it. If you plan on making a high clearance hitch, I'd still start with an existing hitch and build off of that.

This is the kind of info I was looking for (minus the cad file, but thats ok :p). So I take it a typical XJ hitch bolts through the unibody with pinch plates on the back side? I wasn't sure if there was provisions for it to bolt on or not.

Thanks!

Bryson said:
This is the kind of info I was looking for (minus the cad file, but thats ok :p). So I take it a typical XJ hitch bolts through the unibody with pinch plates on the back side? I wasn't sure if there was provisions for it to bolt on or not.

That's correct. The hitch bolts are driven up into the frame, to the mating nut inside the frame rail. You need to remove the bumper to access the nut strip hole. You should already have a passenger side nutstrip, since it holds on the exhaust hanger and heat shield. It may be shorter than the complete nutstrip, I can't recall. Undoubtedly it will be rusty and unusable.

Back