• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 2.5L cherokee likes to kick me in the nut then run away laughing.

acousticrawk

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so ive been putting off looking at this mainly cause its cold, and its pissing me off. i had a warm day today so i went out and had a look. what happened was i was driving an 80 mile drive and and about mile 70, the jeep died, rolled off the highway and then wouldnt start. after about 30 minutes of sitting it started and ran for about 3 minutes.. then died... then a few minutes later it started and ran long enough for me to get it to a speedway. i got it towed home a coupel days later and today i go out, start it up and it runs fine.. little rough, but fin. its always idled a little rough, but not to bad, just that odl jeep rough idle. it ran outside of my appartment for a long time and i was like WTF? so i shut her down to see if i could hear the foul pump priming up. then nothing. wouldnt start again, and no primping. and none of my guages fall back to 0. there just all sit where they were at when it dies/i shut it off. i pulled wiggled and yanked on all the fuseable link while it was running and nothing... ANYONE, if anyone has any USEFUL input on what i should check or replace, please let me know.

seeling th ejeep is not an option right now, so please dont flame.

What year is your Jeep?
Sounds like an electrical or ground problem...maybe ECU ground or power...
Do you have spark?
Do you have fuel pressure? no...go rattle the fuel pump a little...maybe it's seizing up..

originally posted by 85xj4dr
TO answer he other guys's questions, 2.5's were out from 84?-86?.

not to get off topic but I'm pretty sure 2.5L engines were available up to and including model year 2000...

anyhow...acousticrawk...I looked over your posts form the last two weeks and I see that you have an 88..all of the symtons you describe sound like a bad CPS or fuel pump circuit dying which can be the pump itself proper, or an electrical ground or power problem with the pump or ECU....

Last edited:
possibly ignition related- you say that when you turn the key, you have no fuel pump sound- listen for the relay to click- no click? no power- no power, no ignition-
Gauges "pegging" when shutting off is common-

*if* the ignition box is close to being shot/out of adjustment, it "might" cause a no start- and a stall while driving-

check for the relay click first- work backwards from there-

McQue said:
not to get off topic but I'm pretty sure 2.5L engines were available up to and including model year 2000...

I own a 1999 2.5L 5sp manual 4door. I had hoped to get better gas milage with a 4cyl but I found I only get around 17 to 18 mpg :-( Also was having a very hard time finding a 4.0L with a 5sp.

I have had a weird problem from time to time that is in the key cyl. sometimes the connections dont seem to all connect and I get things that dont turn off or dont turn on. Just a long shot here but maybe worth looking into ????

I've got a 2000 XJ with the 2.5 I had the same exact trouble, but in a 94 YJ 2.5 It was the CPS, so that is my vote. The cps disabled everything everytime it got hot.

yeah, the jeep is a 1988. funny thing is man, i can go out at run it at 3000 RPMs until im blue in the face and it seems ok for a while. then i kill it, and bam.. nothing when i try to start it again. i switched out all the relays, still ahve the same problem.. next guess is a sensor or FP. how do i figure out wich one is my problem, do i just guess?

Exactly how mine behaved when it needed a new CPS

Back