• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pressure test with air gauge?

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to use an air pressure gauge to test fuel pressure? I can get a dial air pressure tester for a few bucks, with a peice of hose and some hose clamps ill attach it to the tester location on the fuel rail to test pressure. Is there any reason why this wouldnt work. Im trying to save the $30 for a fuel pressure tester.

I would think that the seals would not hold up to gasoline very well, also the bleed valve on a fuel pressure gauge is via a tube that you can direct well away from the engine compartment, while the air gauge will make a mess of vaporized gas. I think it's a bad idea.

No, bad! Don't use anything that isn't rated for fuel when having anything to do with fuel (especially anything to do with hoses, seals, or gages!)

Don't bother. That's also a "non-standard" Scrader valve for a reason, you know... Just hold on and get a fuel-rated pressure tester, you'll be better off.

If you have an old A/C charging hose for R-12, you can rig this up real cheap. You can use a 0-100 psi gauge that you can pick up from Grainger for about $5.

The right tool for the job is always the best solution. But I've been using an R-12 freon low side gage with standard freon hose for decades, hasn't hurt anything yet.

Back