• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Build from Kit with Pics

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I have finally been able to get work done on the XJ. I bought a bumper kit from Ukraine Train (aka Alex) from this post. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935716 I think I got the first kit he shipped.

The laser cut parts are awesome as are the CNC bends. Everything fit perfect and I did not have to grind or fit anything. Just mocked everything together and welded. I did put the tie in plates on the XJ and tacked the center section together, then removed to weld everything up. I would have had all the welding done in one evening but I ran out of wire. Finished all the welding and did the finish grinding the next night. Total I have about 6 hours to the point that it's ready to paint. Awesome kit!

I went from this
PICT3789.jpg

To this
PICT3797.jpg

To this in two evenings of work
PICT3803.jpg

Now I am going to modify it even more from this point. That has been my plan from the start. Stay tuned to see what I do. :D More pics can be found at http://gallery.lisaandmike.org/carstuff

sweet!

WheelinJR said:
Better get a DA and work those swirls out before you coat it ;)

Yep, I was just getting things cleaned up. Will prep it before painting. :D

Ukraine Train said:
Looking good! What else do you have planned for it?

hehe... I got a couple ideas but want to see if they pan out before I say what they are.

BTW, did you get my last PM regarding the fog light pigtail from that junk XJ?

Ukraine Train said:
Yeah, I got your PM but I haven't been back to the yard yet. It's the pigtail that's right next to the rear wiper and rear defrost switches right? I saw it in my Jeep the other day when I had that panel off. The pigtail just plugs into the switch blank if you don't have fogs. I'll get it when I go back.

Yep, that's the one! Cool, shoot me a PM or email whenever you get it. Thanks!!!

UPDATE

Well I have been busy at work modifying the bumper kit. I wanted to add some more protection plus I wanted to "cover" the space between the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the crossmember. Here are the pictures. I also added a C-Rok steering brace and C4x4 bumper tie ins that tie the bumper into the crossmember. Just wanted to add some extra strength for recovery.

Stock kit mounted
PICT3804.jpg

Fitting the hoop
PICT3806.jpg

Tubing bender
PICT3807.jpg

Fitting upright
PICT3811.jpg

Fitting horizontal bar
PICT3812.jpg

Everything tacked together
PICT3815.jpg

Bars welded and lower valance tacked in place
PICT3817.jpg

C-Rok steering brace and C4x4 bumper tie ins
PICT3820.jpg

Next is some finish welding, grinding and then get it painted and installed. Woo Hoo!!! Hope you like it. :D

take the "grill guard" back off, its way to flat, looks like you hit a wall, sorry man just my input

I guess I should have posted this picture as well. It shows the 15* forward angle

PICT3814.jpg

I don't think it looks bad, but I think you should have made the grille guard look more like the Warn one. I think the bends should have just been sharper. Nice work though.
XJ_bumper_large.gif

ddeadserious said:
I don't think it looks bad, but I think you should have made the grille guard look more like the Warn one. I think the bends should have just been sharper. Nice work though.

That was my original plan but after screwing up trying to cut the fishmouths and compound angle cuts I said screw it and went the way I did. I kind of took the idea of the smaller bar going across similar to an ARB bumper. Oh and my bender only has a die for a 7" radius, 1.5" tubing size. Did not want to buy another die for a sharper bend. Basically all the tubing did not cost anything as I have had this in my supply for a while, left over from a Manx buggy project.

This will do work well for me until I can afford an ARB and winch, which is what I wanted to do in the beginning. Since I needed front recovery points I liked the bumper kit but had ideas to add to it.

Last edited:
X2,do something else,thats fugly as hell!

yea get rid of the guard, it's no good. fugly is a good word

and your forward angle don't matter...it's still flat all the way across. if you'd made it in 3 sections and angled the sides back a bit, it wouldn't look too bad.

no offense..

Heres the one we just finished up for my son.Doing something similar for my new winch bumper!
frontbumper2.jpg

Back