• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 zj. plz help!

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
although its not an xj or mj, i thought you guys here could help me out. My friend owns a 98 zj with a 4.5inch RE lift. One day he was driving and his rig shut off. It will crank over, but wont start. no power to the fuel pump, half of his gauges dont work when he tries to start it. He has replaced most of the sensors. The only one he said he didnt replace was the BCM and his nss. He even replaced every fuse, and relay. he doesnt know what else to look for and repair. any help would greatly be appricated. Thank you in advance for any help you give!!!!!

-----Chris

***EDIT*** he also replaced his computer

Last edited:
4.0? 5.2? 5.9?

CPS? Bad coil? (although i doubt its the coil) is he getting fuel? have you check for spark? is the TB clogged?

EDIT: Just reread, No power to the fuel pump... bad grounds? try shorting the pump and see if it will start then. are the battery cables good, no shorting from exposed (+) cable?

huh... i would look for exposed wires shorting out. Is there power to some parts of the car and none to others?

Yeah i would look for a bad ground, short, or possibly a disconected or cut harness wire/plug. Nope i dont know what the code means sorry.

if it was a short, wouldnt it have blown a fuse, or a relay??..and if it was or even a bad ground, why would it just shut off when he was driving?...

he says the last thing he has to replace is his bcm. body control module. i dont know what it is, but its a $800 piece. the way he described it was, when the key is turned on, the bcm checks with the computer for about three seconds. too make sure everything is the same. if the milage or anything is different, it shuts the whole systyem down. so if its bad, nothing will work i guess. but its expensive.

huh, yeah i wouldnt know about the BCM, but as for the short not always, i had a problem with my lights getting all funny on me for a while, like the blinkers would stay constant on, or the brake lights wouldnt go bright when i hit the brakes, turned out it was a short from my trailer harness which was cut and it was contacting the body, and i didnt blow a fuse from it...

Remove, clean the battery terminals with baking soda paste, flush the past off with water and reinstall the cables. I have a 97ZJ and there is no ground from the back of the engine to the firewall like on the XJ's, at least none I could find. What it sounds like is that the ground from the battery to the starter/engine area is bad and the path to ground is going thru the thin wire to the fenderwall. Start following wires till you find the bad, loose or disconnected one.
This will also reset the ECU back to factory defaults so it will run like crap for the first 45 min or so till it relearns it's parameters. Also put a meter on the battery, if the battery went the OBDII systems will not run even if the alternator is good.

I'm about at my limit on the ZJ, we have not had ours long enough for me get into it more and with it being winter don't plan on it till it starts breaking 50F around here.

Back