• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading headlights?

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
should I get these Ultra Blue 100/90W for a few dollars more?

All this H4 stuff makes my head spin. If I cant figure out what is best Ill just bit the bullet and get whatever looks the best.

Hey Rambo I can tell you I went with the autopal headlamp, upgrade the wiring harness and I went with the PIAA h4 extreme white plus. They have a H4 SERIES INTENSE WHITE now which i will probably go with. I had silverstars bulbs and the Piaa's to me seem to be alot brighter. Its a great upgrade and you'll be glad you did it.

i'm running hella h4's with osram(not the regular sylvania's) silverstar bulbs, it's an impressive improvement over stock. well worth the $$$ imo.

RªMB° said:
All this H4 stuff makes my head spin. If I cant figure out what is best Ill just bit the bullet and get whatever looks the best.

I wouldnt just settle you will be disapointed later. Take your time and do some research on it. I found that alot of the so called hid headlamps or projector lamps suck big balls. If you want to go HID you might want to hit Tony up Tcmglx. He was trying to get together a group buy on some.

Last edited:
Do what rcmf5525 suggested. I've got the AutoPal E-codes with upgraded harness and +50 H4 bulbs and it is fantastic.

RªMB° said:
should I get these Ultra Blue 100/90W for a few dollars more?
No, get some expensive bulbs made in Germany, I have the Philips X-treme Vision +80 and they are fantastic, but expensive, 25 pounds per pair shipped witch is about $50. The Osram Night Breakers are almost as good and much cheaper and easier to find on eBay, etc.

Daedalus454 said:
Do what rcmf5525 suggested. I've got the AutoPal E-codes with upgraded harness and +50 H4 bulbs and it is fantastic.

X2 i love mine.

these are the lights you listed at the begining...
l_596d6c802746c4b49e33baaaed20005f.jpg

they were $30 shipped... and i wanted a cheap/small project to do. so it fit my "budget". i know they aren't the best quality, but they look pretty good, and a fellow XJ'er who'd done the Ecode and wiring harness upgrade was rather impressed with them, for the time and money...

l_e397071b678cf290dcfbb22597c0bd1f.jpg

passenger=old, driver=new(ebay)

its not really that difficult, you get decent housings (i myself use the ipf housings from quatratec), you get h4 bulbs (available at local parts store, or order online for the good stuff), and wire up an add-on hardness via the go-jeep article, it requires not a single cut into the oem harness, and works quite nice
just stay away from the crap you posted.... expect for around $100-120 of damage

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_600.htm X2
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm with google to translate into american
and a h4 bulb to fit your budget/lighting needs/legallity factor
DO IT

great results

Last edited:
I just bought the Auto pals. I bought the 24.95 set with 55/60 bulbs as standard, but, for some reason they threw in the 90/100 instead. I'm not complaining, they were easy installs, I upgraded to 2 relays and 12 AWG wire, and what a diff. They are almost indistinguisable from my hella's.

Thanks everyone for the imput.
As soon as I get some money Ill get some of the "better" H4 lights.

Back