• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airsoft Question

Durangoman47

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've read thru MANY Airsoft Balancing threads.....So I tried it out and it has made me a believer! My unbearable Shake has been tamed for now. I now can run the highway if need be. But here is a question that seems to be a grey area in other threads....Can you run Airsofts and your typical rim weights together? I have a shake around 47ish to 55ish, then nice and smooth until 65ish and up to 75ish(fastest I go). I'm running 34x1050 SS LTB's on stock wheels with 23psi at all corners. I realize they are bais ply tires and get flat spots....but these numbers are after 5 - 10miles of highway driving.

I'd like to hear yall's opinions....
Thanks
Rick

I am going to give the airsoft thoery a try. Have 38" TSLs on 15x10 beadlocks. Thought about 20 oz in each tire. It's good to hear it works on most tires. Hopefully it will work for me. Not that I see much highway, but the wobble is ridiculous.

it would be un-necessary to run the wheel weights if you have airsoft. the airsoft would basically be balancing your wheel weights.

don't throw in random amounts of airsoft pellets. a little over won't hurt anything. it'll just evenly distribute. but you could put to much if you fill the tire with them.
i have heard of guys using golf balls in 38's and larger tires.

Maybe I'll try some more.....I used 1 bottle of 2000 .20grams Airsofts....Just the front two tires(roughly 1000 each side).....Maybe I need more?

My issue I have from what I have seen is a side to side shake....Looking out the window. The steering wheel doesnt shake....The front end of the truck does. And it seems to favor the Driver Side more then the Passenger side. The Tie Rods all seem tight and the Track bar is Some what tight, Its not new tight, but not loose enough to condem it. Steering stablizer should make a difference if its the whole axle....

Thoughts?

Rick

Just to throw this out there. I have also heard about guys running RV antifreeze in thier tires. Anyone tried this? I imagine in cold temps it would get slushy and make it worse. Golf balls are an idea. But man they make a racket. By what I have read airsoft is the ticket.

If it's side to side it may be a toe/caster angle problem. The tires literally fight themselves and start biting at or away from each other. Tie rod bent? Bad cotrol arm bushings allowing the caster to get funky?

New control arms....bent tie rod....I dont think so...havent really wheeled this rig yet....Still working on the build. Maybe I'll try to align it and see what happens....

Rick

I had some tore up thornturds laying around that would not balance on a machine any more. I needed to throw them on so I tried the airsoft. No vibes at all. Made the tires usable again. I measured out 8oz for each tire and it turned out perfect. I'll use this with every set of tires (above stock) that I run.
BTW, they were 33x12.5 r15's

Durangoman47 said:
Maybe I'll try some more.....I used 1 bottle of 2000 .20grams Airsofts....Just the front two tires(roughly 1000 each side).....Maybe I need more?

Rick

The number you have in there with 1000 at .20 gram per BB, in comparison to my 2000 BBs at .12 gram per BB, indicates about 7 ounces per tire. The recommendation I heard was for about 8-8.5 ounces for a 33-12.50/15. You would want more in that size tire I would think. You should have no less than about 1700 in each tire of the size you're running.

I've put a couple hundred miles on my 50% worn and chewed up BFG MTs and I love these things. I tore off all my wheel weights, tossed the AirSofts in and never looked back. It's been great.

I'm running 10.5 oz in my mtr's, (33 12.50's) they ride like a dream all the way to 90MPH. 23 lbs?? That seams a little low on the street?? Maybe I'm just running to much, I run 32 in mine.

You guys keep saying "tossed them in" Like it is cake.. Dont you have to un mount your tires and get them remounted to do this or am I really dumb and missing something easy?

HmmmmToo little huh? Maybe I'll pick up another bottle this weekend and slam them in there. It might just be the ticket.... Well 23psi wears evenly on the street and much more then makes them "ballon." That is the sweet spot for my rims and the weight of the truck....

Off to walmart I go!

Rick

Take a ziplock bag, put it on a kitchen scale, add BB's to the bag till you get your desired weight, zip the bag shut, drop it in the tire before you mount it, reach hand between tire and rim to unzip the bag and pull it out, seat the tire and fill to desired psi.

That's pretty close to just throwing them in...:eeks1:

some people....like me have their own tire changers. you could also unseat the bead using your hi-lift jack.

or you can just take it to your local tire shop and tell them to remove the weights and insert the pellets. they'll probably look at you funny, but just tell them to do it and leave you alone.

i have 6.5oz in my 33x10.5's, but in my 31's i needed about 8oz. but the rims and tires on the 31's have been beaten quite badly and are slightly bend.

I'll play with some more BB's this weekend along with checking the Toe in the front end....Hopefully this will be the winning combo!

Rick

Gunner said:
Just to throw this out there. I have also heard about guys running RV antifreeze in thier tires. Anyone tried this? I imagine in cold temps it would get slushy and make it worse. Golf balls are an idea. But man they make a racket. By what I have read airsoft is the ticket.

I wouldn't want anything wet in my tires, could corrode the wheel and cause more problems.

CrazyXJ said:
does anyone know how much for 38.5/14.50/15 bias TSL SX they are new and I have a ton of wieght on them and they still ride terrible.

HAHAHA I'd start with about 32oz

There gonna ride like crap, there bias ply's. Start with 10oz and work up an oz at a time till they help.

Back