• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I have a grille assembly from a 1988 XJ Wagoneer with the quad headlights, (H4701 -highbeam and H4703 - lowbeam). I was taking it apart and noticed that the metal "rims" holding the sealed beam headlights in were rusted to nothing. It has the big glass headlights like most/all older vehicles, even my 1990 XJ Cherokee has the big sealed beam ones. I want to replace the headlights with the plastic housings that take the newer style buls like H9006s. Does anyone know if there are new cars/trucks that have the same size head lights what will accept the H9006 style bulbs? Does anyone know where/how I might find out for myself? I have been searching google for a little while and have not had any luck. Thanks.

Tommy4949 said:
I have a grille assembly from a 1988 XJ Wagoneer with the quad headlights, (H4701 -highbeam and H4703 - lowbeam). I was taking it apart and noticed that the metal "rims" holding the sealed beam headlights in were rusted to nothing. It has the big glass headlights like most/all older vehicles, even my 1990 XJ Cherokee has the big sealed beam ones. I want to replace the headlights with the plastic housings that take the newer style buls like H9006s. Does anyone know if there are new cars/trucks that have the same size head lights what will accept the H9006 style bulbs? Does anyone know where/how I might find out for myself? I have been searching google for a little while and have not had any luck. Thanks.

1) Those trim/retainer rings are commonly available in the aftermarket - check your local.

2) There are quite a few "composite" replacements for the sealed beam headlamps, they accept the H4 bulbs. You can start with Susquehanna Motorsports (www.rallylights.com,) as they carry both the Hella Vision Plus (DoT-approved) and E-code (not DoT-approved) units. The E-codes are something you can get an equipment ticket for, if the cop is being a putz that day and he pulled you over for something else. However, with some careful aiming, you can run E-codes just fine without annoying anyone else (I run E-codes with 90W/130W lamps in them, and have for a number of years now. No trouble.)

Tommy,

Even though I didn't spend a ton of time searching, I consider myself a "master googler" and like you I have come up with nada. Heck, I didn't even find any specialty (xtra bright, etc.) sealed beams for those sizes. All I could find was plain ol' OEM style halogens.

Good luck in your search!!

:cheers:

Last edited:
crystalship1 said:
Tommy,

Even though I didn't spend a ton of time searching, I consider myself a "master googler" and like you I have come up with nada. Heck, I didn't even find any specialty (xtra bright, etc.) sealed beams for those sizes. All I could find was plain ol' OEM style halogens.

Good luck in your search!!

:cheers:

As I said, start with SMS. You can also check out websites for PIAA, CIBIE, and other high-end light manufacturers - I'm sure they all have versions as well. You may have been using your Google-Fu in the wrong direction (sometimes, you have to come at a problem sidewise.)

There are a number of bowls available on eBay as well - but I've seen a few, and I'm not hugely impressed. It seems that a number of them cater to the "cool factor" more than the "use factor" - my Hellas may not win me any car shows, but they work.

Daniel Stern Lighting also makes a good jumping-off point for performance lighting research.

I myself cant say Ive ever seen replacement housings that size before. My only suggestion would be to head to a junker and peel the front end off another XJ with the H6054 sealed beams and go from there. You'll have 1000000x's more luck.

Vanquish said:
I myself cant say Ive ever seen replacement housings that size before. My only suggestion would be to head to a junker and peel the front end off another XJ with the H6054 sealed beams and go from there. You'll have 1000000x's more luck.

Hella does, as I recall, make 4656-sized housings. They're out there - it just takes a little looking.

Thought so. And where there's one, there's more... http://www.rallylights.com/hella/165mm_lo.asp

5-90 said:
As I said, start with SMS. You can also check out websites for PIAA, CIBIE, and other high-end light manufacturers - I'm sure they all have versions as well. You may have been using your Google-Fu in the wrong direction (sometimes, you have to come at a problem sidewise.)

There are a number of bowls available on eBay as well - but I've seen a few, and I'm not hugely impressed. It seems that a number of them cater to the "cool factor" more than the "use factor" - my Hellas may not win me any car shows, but they work.

Daniel Stern Lighting also makes a good jumping-off point for performance lighting research.

So...... prove us wrong!! :cheers:

crystalship1 said:
So...... prove us wrong!! :cheers:

It's my job. It's what I do; welcome to my job...:wave:

While my recent memory isn't as good as it used to be, it seems that what's left can still be called "encyclopedic" - and that seems to come in quite handy...

(No, that's not my descriptor. It's been applied to me by others rather often...)

I was looking to comb the junk yards around here for ones I could grab off of another car or truck. I already have the two light setup on my 1990, I just wanted something else to set it apart from all the other cherokees around here. The retainer I was talking about is the metal thing the headlight, spring and adjuster screws bolt to. I might just take a headlight with me and try to match it up to what ever I find out there unless you guys have some other ideas. I will post back if I find anything, for the few other wagoneer guys on here.

Back