• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What cluster do I look for? Changes in 1987?

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
From the searches I've done on these forums, the general consensus is that all 90 and earlier use Mechanical speedos and that there are two different style cables of which changed over in mid 87.

Is this correct?

If so, then is it true that I should be looking for a 84-87 cluster since my XJ was built in Feb 1987? How do I tell which type of cable I have in my 87?

Thanks

What engine do you have? If it's a six-cylinder, you need one from an 87-90 six-cylinder. If you've got a four-cylinder, you may be able to use an earlier cluster; I don't know.

Auto or manual doesn't matter, which transfer case you have doesn't matter. I have a manual transmission and NP231 t-case, and my gauge cluster is out of an auto with an NP242 t-case.

You will need to use a cluster from a 1987-1990 4.0 Cherokee (Comanche would work too, I think).

Mambeu said:
Auto or manual doesn't matter, which transfer case you have doesn't matter. I have a manual transmission and NP231 t-case, and my gauge cluster is out of an auto with an NP242 t-case.

You will need to use a cluster from a 1987-1990 4.0 Cherokee (Comanche would work too, I think).

Ok great, so there weren't two styles for 87?

SuperRA said:
Ok great, so there weren't two styles for 87?
Not that I'm aware of, no. Maybe the cluster for four-cylinders changed mid-year (I don't know), but 87 was the first year of the 4.0. I doubt they would have changed clusters halfway through the first year, but I suppose that I could be mistaken.

You could always take off your cluster now and see what size/type of connector the cable uses, and then compare that to the clusters you're looking at. It's only a few minutes to take it out and put it back in.

just to clarify i dont think there was a change in style because my mj was made in jan of 87 and my cluster is from an 89 xj

Yeah, according to my FSM the 87 uses a "Type II" cluster which was introduced in 1987 models starting in I believe Sept. 86. The Type II has the letters "NS" in italics on the bottom of the speedo and tach, or the large gas gauge if you have that. So yes, I agree with the 87-90 conclusion. I have also done this swap.

Back