• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 locker

supsa

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to put a locker in a 8.25 27 spline. Am I going to break axle shafts or should I upgrade to the 29 splined. I did a search and didnt find what I was looking for. Thanks

is that the best answer

If you are going to buy a new carrier, its the perfect time to go to 29spline.

If your gonna do it, do it right and upgrade to 29 splines.

Alloy USA 29 Spline axle shafts, $88.69/shaft at Summit. (CLICK ME)

Powertrax No-Slip $456 at Summit (CLICK ME)

I'm sure these prices can be beat, so look around, but this will give you an idea on the cost.

:thumbup: - Joe

OK..

Option 1: 27 spline lunchbox locker for your 27sp 8.25.. throw it in and go...
Option 2: 27 spline full case locker for your 8.25 (requires resetting up gears)

IF your interested in Option 2 you may as well go with:

Option 3: 29 spline 8.25 carrier, 29 spline shafts, and Powertrax No Slip & resetup gears
Option 4: 29 spline 8.25 full case locker, 29 spline shafts, and resetup gears

Then If you're interested in Options 3 or 4 you may as well go with:
Option 5: D44

EDIT:
JoesXJ said:

I'm sure these prices can be beat, so look around, but this will give you an idea on the cost.

Just so you know that price is outrageous! I picked mine up from DC4WD for $355.00 shipped.... and you need to let him know that w/ the 29spline shafts he's going to have to press on bearings and install wheel studs... OR you could just try to find a pair of factory shafts ready to drop in for cheap..

xalexjx said:
what size tires are you running? Id say just lunch box it untill it breaks then upgrade to an 8.8.

Why wait 'till you're stuck towing a heep out to fix a known weakness? Do it right the first time. Thus I vote for the 44 in order to eliminate the c-clips. Everything else on the 29 spline is fine for moderate wheeling. ymmv

JoesXJ said:

are those shafts "up-grades" they say OEM replacment

Too much crap/opinions floatin around here!! The best advice you could get is to build within your budget!!!!! Your 8.25 is plenty strong and can handle quite a bit even though it is c-clip. c-clip's do fail but chances are you will get lots of good use out of your 8.25 before anything gives up the ghost. :peace:

Last edited:
I say F it, lock the 27 spliner and wheel it!!

I thought that I had a 27 spline 8.25 and got a lock-rite for it, only to find out that 29 spline shafts don't fit into 27 spline drive gears so well.

Even if you did bust your 8.25 with 27 splines, getting a new one from the junkyard is cheap!!! (hell, I've got a 29 spline 8.25 in the driveway that I picked up for 50 bux) If you're on a budget, I say lock that thing up and wheel it!!!

If you eventually do want to do gears in it, grab a detroit and some 29 spline shafts for it.

uncc civilengineer said:
Option 3: 29 spline 8.25 carrier, 29 spline shafts, and Powertrax No Slip & resetup gears

Are you positive that you need to change out the carrier to go from 27 to 29 spline shafts?? When attempting to throw a lock-rite in my 8.25 (I thought that it was 27 spline at the time) I had the side gears in the carrier, and they fit snug...just the shafts wouldn't engage in them!!!

I don't see why the 29 spline shafts wouldn't fit into the same carrier, as long as you put 29 spline drive gears (side gears, whatever you wanna call em) in there. I don't see two separate part numbers for 27 and 29 spline carriers. Have you tried it out??

Last edited:
I'm positive they're different carrier's... 29 and 27 spline.. Unless you upgrade to a 29 spline full case locker you'll need a 29 spline open carrier to hold your PT No-Slip and 29 spline shafts...

EDIT: I've never tried fitting a 29 spline shaft into a 27 spline carrier though...

So I'll keep it simple and lock the 27 up and keep a set of spare shafts

supsa said:
So I'll keep it simple and lock the 27 up and keep a set of spare shafts

Good option.

Back