• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Determining Rear Sag

TommysHaro

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been doing some research for lifting my stock XJ. My intentions for the XJ is to be mostly a DD, but attempt some light wheeling that once in a blue moon. From what I've gathered, I think 2" BB would work best for my needs.

I also know that there are many ways to get the desired 2" of lift, but would like to know how I should gauge my rear leaf springs in order to figure out if I can go with shackles or go the AAL/bastard pack.

I can post pics later, but right now the Jeep seems level to the naked eye, but the tire/fender distance in the rear is shorter than up front.

stats:
Stock 1996 XJ, 145,xxx miles.

Measure from the center of the rim to the bottom lip of the wheel well flare. IIRC it should be 17.5" in front and 17" in the rear. Your leaf springs should be in the shape of a smile or at least flat. If your leaf springs have a frown, they are sagged and will need to be replaced.

Extended shackles, lift blocks, and short add a leaf lifts will make your springs sag faster. Get a full length AAL kit or GOOGLE RockLizard Budget Boost. Search this forum for budget boost , bastard pack, or add a leaf also.

Last edited:
regardless of if you AAL short or full length, if your spring pack is already sagged, it will just sag again eventually. you want an AAL that will compliment your pack.

Build a new "bastard" pack, or get a new leaf pack if you are frowning at all, or close to it.

Back