• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Educate me...TJ flares on an XJ

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, I am going from a TJ to an XJ and the one I am looking at has no flares. I was curious about TJ flares on the XJ. It seems like I have read about it somewhere, but after using the search button, I was left still in question. Does anyone have pics or a write up on how to do this? Will it be doable enough to run 37's? If not, any other suggestions for flare ides to work with 37's?

Thanks,
Chris

I like the look of 2 rear flares opposed to the front and rears off a TJ.... NCCHEROKEE runs them, sexy.

I don't know how to post pictures, otherwise I'd show you mine. You can kind of see them in my avatar or profile pic.

I got 4 rear TJ flares. I don't really like the look of TJ front flares. They actually fit pretty well because the cherokees are still pretty flat. In the rear, cutting for the door helps them fit closer. To make the smallest gap between flare and body, I drilled some new holes as close to the apex of the flare as possible on the inner lip, to keep it tight to the body.

I've seen some use 4 rears, and they left them pretty much the full size, only trimming for the body line on the doors. I actually cut mine short, about even with the bumpers on the front and rear of both flares.

edit: if you want, I can email you a pic of them, and you'll see what I'm talking about a little better

Nope, He's a busy med student though.. probly in class learin to cut our asses up someday.

I think I will be doing this in the spring as well

I like the look better than when using the front TJ flares

It looks horrible don't try it lol I would just use all rears it looks much nicer

the last one before I ripped the bottom of the rear flare off

click to enlarge any of em

krelja said:
It looks horrible don't try it lol I would just use all rears it looks much nicer

This shows perfectly what I was talking about. I cut mine off at the lower body line, where my plastic door trim used to me, so the flares are only on the top half of the wheel wells. I've emailed a few pics to Zacsquatch, so i'm sure he'll get them up soon. the only problem trying to do 4 rears, is that you either have to buy two sets of flares, which will costs more, or get lucky and find 4 rears together, like I did. It was still pretty expensive for what I though stock flares should cost, but still the cheapest option that still looks good. You could also probably do yj flares, but i'm not sure, and I dont think it will look as good.

kenny

flare.jpg

flaer.jpg

Fkare.jpg

Sorry it took so long...:roflmao:

Collins Bros. Jeep in Texas will sell you four used rears for $80 shipped. Typically they are pretty faded, but since I was painting mine anyways, it was a good deal...

grin_rig_07.jpg

Chris @ GATR said:
Guys, I am going from a TJ to an XJ and the one I am looking at has no flares. I was curious about TJ flares on the XJ. It seems like I have read about it somewhere, but after using the search button, I was left still in question. Does anyone have pics or a write up on how to do this? Will it be doable enough to run 37's? If not, any other suggestions for flare ides to work with 37's?

Thanks,
Chris

IMO flares and large tires dont mix.. especially around here where the laws are different. How much lift are you talking about running? What 37's? I really dont see it being doable w/o a fairly tall lift or cutting pretty much beyond the pinch seam. Just cut the fenders... you'll be much happier in the long run especially when the flares start getting ripped off on our trails...

I used all 4 rear flares, took my time, and they came out pretty damn nice, painted them flat black (they were used flares, had that spotty grey fading thing going on)

I don't have pics, maybe someone from the recent NW snow run has one. Take your time, trim the mounting flanges down on the rears and do the front halves on the rear doors, re-drill mounting holes near the ends for maximum tight fit. I put on plastic tabs on the rear halves of the rear door flares so they fit flush on the outer edges with the doors closed, otherwise the outer edge of the front half wants to suck in.

I've only cracked one rear half, fixed it with duct tape. If you can keep your sheetmetal off of the trees, you can make the flares last a bit as well.

Back