• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

puegot... yeah I know

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
88, 4.0 BA 10/5, NP231

Well here goes, hope someone is some help on this one.

P.O replaced clutch, throw out and pressure plate at approx 135-140,000 miles, Now has 220,xxx.

I have a "grind?" only going down into 2nd. If I press in clutch, release and press in again 2nd goes clean.
In the last couple of week I am getting a strange and unnerving noice in 3rd through 5th. When I press the clutch I get a whirring metalic sound. Usually occurs when I down shift.
Occasionaly the shifter locks itself up in second gear. cant shift out. wait a second. clutch again and it shifts.

Also I found that the two front bolts on the tranny mount had fallen out! One was sitting on the tranny mount one was gone. Two back mounts had worked out approx 1/4".
I took down the crossmember and the mount. Cleaned them up and reinstalled them with only two bolts. One front right one rear left. not the best situation. Approx 1/8 thread missing inside the transmission mount holes.

Any idea what the noise is?
Can any one confirm the bolt size for the tranny mount to tranny bolts?

Thanks

Kyle

I dont know what the problem is but if you need a trans my friend has one and I am sure he would sell cheap. It is a good one I have driven the jeep it is in. Let me know if you are interested and I will see what he wants for it. thanks seth

Thats what I was thinking (syncros). I got some info back from 5-90 last night and he and I are thinking that the 7/16-14-3/4" flanged grade 5 bolts that were used to attatch the transmission mount plate to the transmission are the incorrect bolts. Factory manual does not describe actual bolt and part number is non existant.
They have removed some threads, and I will now probably have to rethread them. I guess things are looking up all around for me.

Does anyone think that my loose mount could be causing any of this?
On the way to the grocery store just a few minutes ago as I downshifted into second...
press in clutch... whirring noise...shifter seemed to lock up... pressed clutch harder... whirring stopped shifter disengaged cleanly... no further problems three miles home in traffic.

I guess Im going to update this... didn't want to start a new thread.
I was just out in the garage five min ago changing out the oil and realized that the motor mounts are thrashed. It appears that there is an inch or so of gap between the top of the rubber and the bottom of the housing. rubber looks to be fairly sagged on the passenger side as well.

Could the extremely worn motor mounts and the jacked up tranny mounts be creating these symptoms?

very well could be. if the engine and trans are free to move too far, the shifter linkage could be unable to move with them and be binding. I'd change them first and see where you are then.

Thats kind of what I am thinking now... I have been babying the trans for the last few days... clutch in shift to N clutch out... clutch in shift to gear... I guess a really slow double clutch. I did this on an old honda I had and it seemed to work (for the syncros at least).

Back