• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your Oil Recomendation

solditforajeep

NAXJA Forum User
98, 123,000, Runs pretty good slight knocking clicking whatever you want to call it when cold, Front and rear main seals show a drop of oil under them but none falls to the ground ever, Right now sitting in class noticed a coolant leak waiting to get out and check it out asap tonight, but besides that I have owned it one year, used pennzoil 5w30 had a friend working there so never did it myslelf. Now I am at a body shop with access to a lift so Im going to start doing it. I get a discout from Amsoil, thought about switching to their 10w30. However, Im scared of the main seals leaking worse and really dont want to change them soon, well or ever but that wont happen.
Sooo, what do ya'll recommend here, I dont wheel often, mostly tow a jetski in the summer, winter temps here range from -10 to 30, usually 20ish. Summer Highs in the 70 80's.

Should I do the switch now and see what happens, Stick with a 5 dub 30, switch to 10 dub, or one of those in a high mileage and what brands?? thanks

What can i say, 6 jeeps in the family and they all run Mobil-1 'high milage' 10W30 and Mobil-1 filters. Been running M-1 in everything for the past 14 years.

Good deal, will look into it. Well found out the coolant leak, water pump...Luckily I work at a body shop and got the parts at cost, 36 for the pump and I needed new hoses as well 20 and 15 for them, so Im at 76, I know a guy that can do it for 70 on Thursday, so im at 146, and some coolant is all I need. Oem pumps are 121, I looked at our estimating program and 3.1 it gives for hours so I think I'll make out alright.

solditforajeep said:
Good deal, will look into it. Well found out the coolant leak, water pump...Luckily I work at a body shop and got the parts at cost, 36 for the pump and I needed new hoses as well 20 and 15 for them, so Im at 76, I know a guy that can do it for 70 on Thursday, so im at 146, and some coolant is all I need. Oem pumps are 121, I looked at our estimating program and 3.1 it gives for hours so I think I'll make out alright.

I recommend you make sure that pump you got is a NEW one and not a rebuilt. You will have less trouble.

Don't use regular mobil-1. It's not made for our clearances, and does not have the flat tappet goodies.

RyanM said:
Don't use regular mobil-1. It's not made for our clearances, and does not have the flat tappet goodies.
I thought I kinda said that with the 'high milage' thing :D :D :D Yea, I know, not every body retains or comprehends what they read.

Muad'Dib said:
Even switched from k&n oil filters to mobil 1's.

K&N oil filters flow a ton, but they are not great at filtering. I would never use a K&N oil filter for street use. At the 1/4 mile, well thats another thing!

BillBraski said:
X2.
$28.00 at Wal-Mart + $9.00 for M1 filter at Advance Auto. Its the best oil for the money!

$28 at Walmart ? dont buy the 6 packs, get the 5 quart container, $20, get 6 of them THEN get a six pack. Thats two years of oil there... I just did three of mine this weekend, time for another wally world stop.. I'm down to 7 jugs and three filters.

Don't pass the K&N air filter rep onto the oil filter! :) I have run them, will no MAJOR changes on my UOA's! Just don't buy a Fram!

RyanM said:
Don't pass the K&N air filter rep onto the oil filter! :) I have run them, will no MAJOR changes on my UOA's! Just don't buy a Fram!

Yea, the K&N oil filter is good, besides, it gave me an excuse to go buy a shorty 1 inch open/box wrench as my oil filter socket would no longer work on it.. Though I will say this once, I had about 3 in a row that I could not keep tight, on both the XJ and the olds cutlass, I kept buying them because nobody carried M-1 filters up here, The next time I bought them the problem was gone, they stayed tight so it might have been a gasket change, this was about 7 years ago. I posted that problem on here when it happened, maybe they read these forums, they'd be fools not to. I usually buy a dozen at a time.

Good quality filter,Puralator,Mobil One,K&N ect. NO FRAM JUNK! Tnen 10w40 incold weather Major brand. In hot weather 15w40 Rotella. This will help keep leaks to a minimum. Stay away from synthics they will make leaks worse. 5w20 or 30 is to thin for your older engine. Just learn to let the engine warm up a few moments before reving it up and slaming it into gear. Meijer used to carry the Purolater filters dont know if they still do. Keep experimenting and you will learn to make your jeep last a long time.
Ron

So oil junkies, what makes Mobil 1 High Mileage so good, just that you use it with no probs? BTW, that not meant to sound cocky, just wondering why. Its still cheaper than if I were to buy amsoil with my discount, a gallon for me is 18, Id still need 2 quarts.

I just picked up some Rotella T Heavy Duty 15w40 (diesel engine stuff) and noticed it is CJ-4/SM rated. Does that mean it doesn't have the ZDDP that the flat tappets need? I have been wanting to switch to Rotella and when I got it home noticed the SM rating.
:doh:

Last edited:
97XJ Jeeper said:
I just picked up some Rotella T Heavy Duty 15w40 (diesel engine stuff) and noticed it is CJ-4/SM rated. Does that mean it doesn't have the ZDDP that the flat tappets need? I have been wanting to switch to Rotella and when I got it home noticed the SM rating.
:doh:

You are okay with that oil, as long as its not like single digit mornings. Zinc levels are still in the 1200ppm range, which is what you want. Moly has been introduced and some boron IIRC. I plan on running some uoa's on it over the summer, that or delvac 1300

RyanM said:
You are okay with that oil, as long as its not like single digit mornings. Zinc levels are still in the 1200ppm range, which is what you want. Moly has been introduced and some boron IIRC. I plan on running some uoa's on it over the summer, that or delvac 1300
I use 10w40 MAX LIFE now, it's about 3*F outside and don't have any problems with cold start. Is 15w40 going to that much thicker that I sould use something else till summer?

Back