• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alum Foil heat shield??

kccherokees

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe a stupid question but I dont know! Being the broke teenager I am I dont want to spend money on buying a "real" heat shield from summit or whatever so I was wondering if Alum Foil would work?? Right inbetween the intake and exhaust mani to block the heat from the exhaust mani to the intake???? I know it would work in the air intake box but didnt know if all of the heat would do anything, maybe fire?? And w the fuel rail on top of the intake mani I DO NOT want to start a fire!! It may all sound stupid but I have no idea so yea! Thanks

Chris

Since you're a broke teenager, why not just leave it the way the factory designed it? I have an '88 that has somehow managed to survive 15 years and 238,000+ miles without some after-market heat shield, so I don't think there's an urgent need to mess up a working machine.

I've also seen a Mylar-backed windshield sunshade cut down to fit under the hood to isolate the airbox.

Eagle said:
Since you're a broke teenager, why not just leave it the way the factory designed it? I have an '88 that has somehow managed to survive 15 years and 238,000+ miles without some after-market heat shield, so I don't think there's an urgent need to mess up a working machine.

Eagle, nice way to shoot down the boys dreams! :D

KC,

I'm assuming that you are looking for a way to lower your intake manifold temps to gain a little HP.

There are several ways to do this, some cheap, some free, unfortunately the factory mounted the intake manifold right next to the exhaust: kinda hard to do considering how close they are.

Chrysler had a heat shield on and off over the years. The effectiveness, in my opinion, is questionable. (if it worked that great, it would be on all years)

Dr Dyno on this board has done some pretty neat low buck mods to his Jeep, you might want to check out his site.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

Good Luck

John

Back