• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake question when swapping to a 297 shaft

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
So I read CRASH's write-up on the differences in the D30 axles, hubs/shafts/rotors/knuckles, etc... and now I need something cleared up.

"Basically, there are three rotor/hub/knuckle combinations. The early style that MOSTLY came on disconnect housings, the late style that came on non-disco housings, and the latest style that came on low pinion housings.

The early style brakes can be identified by the 7mm allen-head studs that retain the caliper to a two-piece knuckle. These are generally spec’d on 84-90 vehicles.

The two later style uses a standard headed bolt to retain the caliper to a one piece knuckle.

The only difference in the two styles is the spacing, but it means you can’t mix and match rotors from the various styles. Axle shaft lengths are the same, so you can plug in late model shafts into your early housing with no problem. Also, if you want to use the late model hub/rotor/knuckle combo, you can bolt them to your early housing without trouble."

My question: if I swap the whole shaft/hub/rotor/knuckle combo over into my '87 disco D30, can I still use my existing calipers? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the 297 shafts in there. I'd like to be able to keep my disconnect and run 95 Wrangler shafts, that way I'd already have spares in the ones currently in there. If I go non-disco, I'll just get the shafts for now and put new u-joints in them and then for spares, I'd like to just have the whole shaft/hub combo but I want to make sure I'm clear that I can throw that in there if I needed to and it'll work with everything else.

You will need to use your 87 stuff and just swap the axle shafts.

RCP Phx said:
You will need to use your 87 stuff and just swap the axle shafts.

i believe with the axle disconnect d30, when swapping axles with larger ujoints, you also need new seals on the passenger side. i could be wrong

89xj said:
i believe with the axle disconnect d30, when swapping axles with larger ujoints, you also need new seals on the passenger side. i could be wrong

Yes, that's correct. That's another potential headache in itself...reading peoples experiences trying to get the right seal makes me wanna just get a whole axle from a 95-up Cherokee and call it a day. But that brings me back to my question, if I do that, can I still use my calipers or do I have to start screwing with my brakes?

You said you wanted to keep the Disco feature???

RCP Phx said:
You said you wanted to keep the Disco feature???

cant have the disco with 297 shafts. they are 1 piece passenger side as the 260 shaft is 2 piece(for the disco) passenger side.

89xj said:
cant have the disco with 297 shafts. they are 1 piece passenger side as the 260 shaft is 2 piece(for the disco) passenger side.

Yes you can...you have to get the shafts from a 95 Wrangler....but my chances at finding those sometime this year are probably about slim to none so unless I can find some online somewhere very soon, I'll be loosing the disco.

To answer your original question, no you can't use the 87 calipers with newer style knuckles. They mount differently. When I did mine, I used the knuckles, rotors, hubs and calipers from a 99 on an early housing. The brakes are completely different. If you can get them, the late model brakes seem to work better.

Neal

Back