• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and a TC drop?

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a RE 3.5 inch lift put on my Cherokee (2001, 4.0L Auto) The guy that installed the lift also did a AA SYE kit and a new Wood's Driveshaft for me. But he also left the TC drop on it from my other lift the was on the Jeep. Is there a benifit in doing this? Can I remove the TC drop and be ok? When I first picked up the Jeep there were no vibes at all. Now I have very slight vibes around 30 and 50 or 55 mph. Am I getting vibes as my rear springs are settling? Other than that I love this lift great flex and ride, well worth the money!!! I got the lift from www.4x4groupbuy.com Jason is a great guy to work with if you need something send him an e-mail

take out the drop, you don't need it with the sye, all it's doing is hanging your case lower and losing ground clearance.

I'm not running any shims. He told me that I shouldn't run shims because it will starve the bearing for fluild.

Semper Fi said:
I'm not running any shims. He told me that I shouldn't run shims because it will starve the bearing for fluild.
yes, but with an SYE you must point the pinion at the t-case output. You may have to fill the diff on a hill to get enough oil in it, or get a diff cover with a higher fill hole.

did they shim the axle at all?
can you take a picture of the driveshaft and it's angles?
using shims is pretty common, so I don't know why they told you that line.
It's possible to starve the bearing if the pinion is pointed too high, but I doubt it's a problem at your lift height.
sounds to me like they just didn't want to bother, so they left the drop on.
Take a picture of it and post it up so we can take a look, then we can advise.

ok I will post pics of the drive line in the morning. I'm not sure how to post pics but my daughter might know how.

Devil Dog, you need to take the t-case drop out, shim the axle so that the rear pinion is pointing at or 1-2* below the line of the driveshaft, and then smack the idiot that told you it would "starve the bearing"

Go to http://4xshaft.com/driveline101.html and check out the hows and whys. Look at the pic below (from that site) to get an idea of what you're trying to achieve.
cv_angle.gif

Replace your front driveshaft u-joints just to ensure that they are not a source of your vibes. After the lift, they are operating at different angles than they used to.

ok I took some pics this morning and I posted them with www.photobucket.com I'm not that good with the posting to the internet thing, but if you go to photobucket.com and do a search for semperfi_03 you will find the pictures. if someone can post them on NAXJA for me feel free to.

Without seeing actual angle-finder numbers I'd say that rear pinion looks several degrees too low. That's time to measure and find out for sure.

Back