• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what psi do i need?

thebluebuffalo

NAXJA Forum User
i just got my wheels and tires on this weekend. it looks sweet, as soon as i can mind my do dickey for my camera i'll post pics. i've got 33x12.5 dayton timberline mt on 15x8's under an rc 4.5. max tire pressure is 35 psi. as soon as i left glasgow tire i went straight to the mud! the tires performed as expected. after arriving home i noticed that there was still about 2.5" of brown left on the outside and inside of each tire. i let 5 psi out of each tire, this only left about a 1.5" of brown. my question is is this normal? should it "wear evenly" what psi is safe for the road, trail?

you mentioned everything except how much air pressure you startd with in the tires. If you don't have the width of the tread contacting the road, you have too much pressure

wet the tires and drive it a few feet on dry concrete to see if you are getting full tread contact.Maybe baby powder would work on dry black top.....

OLAK said:
you mentioned everything except how much air pressure you startd with in the tires. If you don't have the width of the tread contacting the road, you have too much pressure

he said 35 psi..

they should have an even, wide contact patch. you have the right idea about "reading" the dirt on the tread. ive run similar tires at 28 psi with good comfortable ride.

OLAK said:

35 psi is what i left the garage with. i'm at 29 psi right now. i think will go down to 27 the next time i go out.

take a piece of chalk and draw a line across the tire and and drive a couple a revolutions, then either add or remove air until the chalk line contacts the ground evenly.

OLAK said:
he said:

he didn't say what he was running

some people can read between the lines and others can't. i started out with 35 psi.

so i bumped it down to 27. still showing brown on the edges. is it ok to run 23-25 psi? i don't want to come off the rims. does it matter that they show an inch of brown on the out side edges?

thebluebuffalo said:
some people can read between the lines and others can't. i started out with 35 psi.

Your kidding right!! What lines is he supposed to read between? You DID say max tire pressure NOT I am running 35psi now!!!! We should not have to read between the damn lines!! Say what you mean and be specific so you can get the help you need!! AND yes I understood what you were TRYING to say!! :cool:

ColoradoRaptor said:
Your kidding right!! What lines is he supposed to read between? You DID say max tire pressure NOT I am running 35psi now!!!! We should not have to read between the damn lines!! Say what you mean and be specific so you can get the help you need!! AND yes I understood what you were TRYING to say!! :cool:

damn, your cranky. if i upset you that bad, i'm sorry. :shiver: it seems that most people understood me. even you did, so i guess i did a pretty good job of "TRYING" to say!

35 psi is a bit too much for the street, IMO. 30 works well on the street for me on 35" MTRs, somewhere between 8-12 on the trail. For pure mudding, try 15-20 psi. Play around with it, see what works best for you. Every make and size of tire is just a bit different in different conditions. And if you haven't yet, pick up a Harbor Freight or Costco battery jumper style electric air compressor. It gives you options for airing back up, so you can run whatever you want on the trail and bring them back up to a safe street pressure when you need to drive home.

Like mentioned before do the chalk test. Rub some chalk on about three rows of lugs and drive and adjust until the whole tread pattern is touching the ground. Do this on all four wheels because you might have to run different pressures from front to back depending on your rigs set-up. I myself am running 24 psi in 33/12.5-15 MT Claws. I run around 10 on the trail. I know a friend of mine that is running 20 psi on the street with his wrangler on 35's. His tires are wearing normal and ride perfect.

Back