• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft work

Jump This

Just another minion!
Okay, so maybe this isn't so 'advanced tech' but its a bit beyond 'where should I mount my CB' kinda' stuff.

With the recent addition of a set of Deaver leafs, the axle has been pushed back two inches. I'm in a time crunch and the closest drive shaft shop is a good hour and a half away.
I'm thinking about just lengthening the damn thing myself.
Why not? Other than not being able to properly balance it quickly and possibly ruining a very low hour drive shaft, why not give it a shot myself?
Anyone here done that? I can weld....well, okay, I can melt metal together.
This isn't any freeway rig, but I do drive it on the street...

What about it boyz?

Rick

Chop a stock front driveshaft in half, hammer a piece of 1.75" OD DOM inside it to the proper length, weld it up. The 1.75 is almost a press fit so it always turns out pretty straight.

I've got a year and a few thousand miles on mine done this way.

vetteboy said:
Chop a stock front driveshaft in half, hammer a piece of 1.75" OD DOM inside it to the proper length, weld it up. The 1.75 is almost a press fit so it always turns out pretty straight.

I've got a year and a few thousand miles on mine done this way.
X2.. I did a front CJ shaft and used drill pipe on the outside. For the rear a chainlink fence post fit perfect. Worked so nice I built spare shafts for it the same way. Never had one break or vibrate.

One way to get them pretty darned straight is to use a large piece of angle iron. Lay it in the "V" use a couple of clamps. Works for me. The out of balance is more profound when it's near the middle, so I stay near the differential end.

Back