• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anybody dealt with this before?

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
When I'm accelerating from a stop, oh say about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, when I get into second gear and the rpm's reach about 3200 I feel a substancial sudden loss in power and it lasts untill about 4 grand then the power picks back up to right where it should be. It's weird. Ok, I have a brand new TPS and everything else has about 160K on it. I am running with a MAP adjuster but it does it whether or not it's plugged in. I can't tell if it does it at full throttle, cause it goes through the rpm's too fast lol. Oh, and I also have a brand new motor so we can rule everything out but anything manifold, ignition, fuel, or sensor related. Also, my old motor did the same thing so it's definately something ignition, manifold, fuel system, or sensor/electronics related. Anyone???

You said you have a new motor but did you get new vaccum lines? that sounds a little bit like a vaccum leak. Also, have you checked your plugs? You could have fouled a plug. good luck.

jk333 said:
You said you have a new motor but did you get new vaccum lines? that sounds a little bit like a vaccum leak. Also, have you checked your plugs?

X2

May even check your ehaust system. If your cats blocked up, then it can cause some funny losses in power.

BakersfieldXJ said:
X2

May even check your ehaust system. If your cats blocked up, then it can cause some funny losses in power.

Lol... ya, I don't have any cats so we can probably rule that one out :) I think I'm gunna go ahead and replace my CPS and see if that does the trick. It's a lot cheaper than a new fuel pump and it probably needs replaced anyways.

PurpleCherokee said:
Lol... ya, I don't have any cats so we can probably rule that one out :) I think I'm gunna go ahead and replace my CPS and see if that does the trick. It's a lot cheaper than a new fuel pump and it probably needs replaced anyways.

so your just going to through parts at it until you get it right? that wont be cheap in the long run.

seems simple but perhaps it's the tc lockup producing a similar "feeling" to what you are describing? just a thought... on my comanche with 31's it seems like it loses power when the tc locks up because the rpms drop...

did you set up the tps with a DVM when you replaced it?
backprobe it with the ignition on truck not running, and open the throttle up while watching voltage, it should go smoothly from .8ish up to 5 and back down again.

Back