• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 identification

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
Before you say to check the diff cover, its next to impossible. It is sitting on the soft ground with no tires or durms. I can't see the rear diff cover. The drivers side door is also missing. It seems everything I know of to ID this is mising. The one thing I can see is that the axle has a hole in the stud flange to remove a retaining plate. before I buy this I want to be sure its what I need as not to waste the owners or my time.
If its any help its a 2 door with a vent window behind the D and Pass doors and says "CHEROKEE CHIEF" in big letters down the side.
yes I did search, but to no avail.

~Alex

With the hole in the wheel flange, I would lean toward it being a D44. The D35 would not have this hole since it is a c-clip axle and has no retaining plate.

Anybody disagree?

xjohnnyc said:
With the hole in the wheel flange, I would lean toward it being a D44. The D35 would not have this hole since it is a c-clip axle and has no retaining plate.

Anybody disagree?
the d35 were non c clip up to 90, so this wont id anything
brake drums might help. d44 had 2.5x10" istr

Last edited:
Gotcha. :thumbup: I knew there was a good chance that I was wrong.

Thanks for the input, keep any other possible ways to ID this thing comeing. If there are any.

~Alex

I hope the shoes are still stuck on that axle.

~Alex

Can you get to the top corner of the webbing? The area above the tube, but on the center housing... it will have a number cast into it. Either a 35 for a D-35 or 44 for a 44.

Take a jack, a piece of plywood around 1/2 - 3/4 thick, at least 12x12, and jack the vehicle up some in the rear to see the axle. Thats what I would suggest. Jack under the door jam near the leaf spring mount if you can get to it. a floor type jack might work better than a bottle.

Alright. I checked it out today, the tubes are 2.50 and it has 1.75 inch shoes. One of the guys at the yard suggested I check another local yard for one. I did find 3 cherokee's already stripped and one that I am not sure about. Yet again, hard to acesess. This time one side is frozen into a big puddle and I can only see the top of one drum. the drum measures approx 3.5 inches from wheel surface to the back. I was able to snake my arm in with a set of calipers and get a measurement of ~2.600. The jeep is a 91 with a hitch. The owner said he will try to pull it if I want him to.
All that ice and water is a concern to me. Hope the axle seal held up.
well....I sure can pick em

~Alex

A 91 wouldn't have a Dana 44, unless it was swapped in.

And the tubes on a Dana 35 are 2.62". So it sounds like the second one is a Dana 35.

Back