• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found 99 XJ..your thoughts...pics

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Well guys,

Been patient and I thing I found my jeep. It's a 99, sport,4x4, auto with 129,000 miles. All fluids look good.... power steering, tranny, engine oil, brake fluid, coolant.... Very small rust buildup in the right corner of the roof, not really noticable.

When for a test drive and it shift good, no funny or weird noises. Runs hard, brakes well, no leaks that I could tell. 4x4 worked well on loose surface.

The only thing is that on all jeeps, when I take out the radiator cap, there seems to be a build up of some kind in the tube or neck, not sure what you call it. It's not a slime but a build up that you could remove with your finger. What could that be? Any any of you with xj's notice that?

Owner indicates the temp guage goes to 210*, while test driving it, it would stay around 200* or so, is this normal?

Anything else I should look for? Need ideas...

Thanks..

a52a_1.jpg

a681_1.jpg

a9b6_1.jpg

ad1a_1.jpg

a480_1.jpg

asking $4,000 but will offer $3,700, he seemed pretty firm so I hope as last case that he'll go for $3,800. Do you think this is a fair price? From what I've seen here in Miami, 97 and 98 in bad shape go for this much. 99 go for $4,500 and $5,000 up, with much higher mileage.

Was hoping to get you guys input.

As for the build up, is this normal? Would it only need a good flush? And temps at 210*? I only hope this is normal and don't want a surprise....

Thanks..

Gave 3,800 for 98 xj with 160000 miles little bit of rust my temp gauge runs right on 210. Build up sounds normal may need a rad flushing that is a sharp looking xj.

My 2001 has run at 210* since day one. It is normal for many, many, Jeeps, depending on how they are set up....Stock configuration is generally up around 210*.

I have not noticed any buildup on my Rad cap, but I rarely take it off...I usually inspect my overflow bottle to see the fluid color, level , etc.

If it has electric windows, make sure they all work at each door, sometimes they act like the control is locked out at drivers master control panel when it isn't in lockout mode.
Check to make sure all radio speakers work...front door speaker connections go bad sometimes.

just trying to help you find something wrong so you can get them to drop the price a little and then you can fix the problem yourself...

The price seems fair ...the Jeep looks nice...how was the ride? Original shocks?
I assume you ran the A/C...good and cold? Does the aux electric fan kick on?

it is rust scale. It comes from running a aluminum heater core, iron block with steel fittings, and a copper radiator. Normal electrolysis. clean and fluch then add some water wetter when you refill

that looks like a sweet Jeep......mine is black on black too, but mine is a 1992 ( im broke, so thats the newest one i could get ), and 210 is normal, dont worry about it man.......at least ya got gauges.....mines a stripper, so i have idiot lights.......as for the price....id buy it, so yeah......good deal man! Just needs a little lift and some digger tires, youll be fine!

Guys, many thanks for your feedback.

McQue: The buildup is not really on the cap but on the filler neck were you pour the fluid, if stick your finger in the elbow, that's were the buildup is. Wasn't sure since every jeep I checked had the same thing only some had more than others.

Thanks again...

Just be GLAD you dont have to worry about rock salt.......it eats your Jeep up quik, lol!! My rockers went from only having a small hole in them, to being like swiss cheese.....in one year of being chewed up from the salt...... :(

Nice looking Jeep! Price seems reasonable.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about what you found on the radiator filler neck. If you do buy it (or any other Jeep), unless there is clear evidence that it has been done recently, it's a good idea to change all of the fluids (coolant flush and new stat, diffs, tranny, t-case, oil) so that you have a baseline and know all fluids are good. Very important as they are the lifeblood of your Jeep.......

Back