• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaping guts

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on getting some fullwidth axles ready to swap under my Jeep. This weekend I pulled apart one of my d44's to find that it's probably never been opened since manufactured in 74, everything was rusted almost to the point of siezed. However, when I popped the cover off my 78 d44 everything looked brand new: good pattern, good backlash, everything's mint. Both are hp d44's from donor Fords, so my question is: can I just swap everything over from the 78 to the 74? I'm going to replace the axle and pinion seals, seeing as how I can't pull those without ruining them, but all the other bearings and races good. Any help with this would be awesome, thanks.

whitneyj said:
I'm working on getting some fullwidth axles ready to swap under my Jeep. This weekend I pulled apart one of my d44's to find that it's probably never been opened since manufactured in 74, everything was rusted almost to the point of siezed. However, when I popped the cover off my 78 d44 everything looked brand new: good pattern, good backlash, everything's mint. Both are hp d44's from donor Fords, so my question is: can I just swap everything over from the 78 to the 74? I'm going to replace the axle and pinion seals, seeing as how I can't pull those without ruining them, but all the other bearings and races good. Any help with this would be awesome, thanks.

It depends on the original donor vehicles. Find the BOM numbers on both axles and compare all the specs on the Dana website. Also, check Mr. N's Dana 44 web page.

Ford made a variety of Dana 44 front axles for the Bronco, F150, and F250. Different tube thicknes, some were coil springs with radius arms, some were leaf springs, some had flattop knuckles, 8 lug and 5 lug, etc. As far as I know, all were high pinion, and used 1.31 diameter 30 spline inner shafts and 19 spline outters.

The carrier should swap no matter what. Do not swap carrier bearing caps. The carrier races and bearing are probably the same, but I would buy new, same for wheel bearings. Axle shaft lengths varied a lot, so you will have to verify that they are the same length. Ball joints are the same. As long as both axles are 5 lug, the spindles, hubs and lockout should be interchangable.

The 74 axle should have come with drum brakes, and the 78 should have come with discs. But I believe you can move the 78 knuckles, backing plates, spindles, hub/rotors and lockouts to the 74 axle. Ford D44s have 5 bolt knuckles and spindles, Chevy used a 6 bolt pattern. A lot of people run Chevy parts from the steering knuckle out and run chevy disc brakes. Chevy calipers are supposed to be smaller and clear 15 inch wheels better, but I have not personally done this. The 74 axle should have welded on wedges wich can be cut off. The 78 axles should have cast wedges with no tube underneath and they can not be removed. So obviously the 74 housing is the right one to use.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes all the guts should swap over but you will want to make sure that all bearings have their coresponding races and you will definitely want to run a pattern and check BL when you swap. Don't remember if that has a crush sleeve or shims but either way you will want to make sure that the carrier bearing preload and pinion preload are close to what they were before the teardown. Use a new pinion nut and seals with your final assembly.

Ok, thanks for the help. I figured everything should swap over, just wanted to get a confirmation, couldn't seem to find it elsewhere. I plan on running a pattern and checking the backlash, even though I'm already half axxing it with the used gearset, I don't want it to blow up on me right away. the 74 and 78 hp d44 both were shimmed, no cruch washer.

The 74 axle should have come with drum brakes, and the 78 should have come with discs. But I believe you can move the 78 knuckles, backing plates, spindles, hub/rotors and lockouts to the 74 axle.

the knuckles out do swap over, did that this weekend, the 74 d44 from the Ford 1/2 ton has 1/2" thick tubes and the welded on wedges, that was the deciding factor for the axle, to bad everything but the housing was trashed. The 78 has 3/8 and 1/4" thick tubes, cast wedges to the knuckles and runs disk brakes. the axle lengths are the same as well.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the help.

Back