• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

370K Mile 4x4 88Pioneer XJ spotted today

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I ran across a guy at a SE Houston Gas station today that has 370,000 miles on the original, 88 Cherokee Pioneer, 4X4, Renix, 4.0 engine, using Quaker state 10W40 dyno oil, and he says it still does not use oil, no leaks, never leaked, and still running strong. :scared:Claims to be the original owner. It looks brand new.
:worship:

Says he is a mechanic and owns a couple of Houston repair shops. He stopped to ask me what year my 87 was, seems the Wagoneer head lights in the front were new to him. He also asked why I was adding oil to mine, which got the conversation going.

A few weeks ago I ran across another guy with an '81, 4X4, Jeep waggy, in SE Houston at Autozone, that still looked brand new!!!! Big Druelll. I was wishing I had a digital camera with me at the time.

Last edited:
I have just shy of 3000K on mine and the last 15K have been hard wheelin miles and ity use no oil and I run dino oil in it and it still has the factory tranny etc in it...I love my rig, I am hoppin to get 350K plus out of it...keepin my fingers crossed!

RyanM said:
Three thousand thousand miles :scared:

(+1) Yeah.... and on Quaker State no less!!! :eek: That's IS amazing!!!

:cheers:

(+1) Yeah.... and on Quaker State no less!!! :eek: That part IS amazing!!!

yup, whoops...got an extra 0 on that one!! :D

That was one of those late night drunken posts......

Ecomike said:
I ran across a guy at a SE Houston Gas station today that has 370,000 miles on the original, 88 Cherokee Pioneer, 4X4, Renix, 4.0 engine, using Quaker state 10W40 dyno oil, and he says it still does not use oil, no leaks, never leaked, and still running strong. :scared:Claims to be the original owner. It looks brand new.
:worship:

Says he is a mechanic and owns a couple of Houston repair shops. He stopped to ask me what year my 87 was, seems the Wagoneer head lights in the front were new to him.

How can he be the original owner, if he's never seen a wagonner and its headlights? Im sure there were pics in the brochures of both the cherokee and wagoneer...

88XJSport said:
How can he be the original owner, if he's never seen a wagonner and its headlights? Im sure there were pics in the brochures of both the cherokee and wagoneer...

Who knows, some people are just not very observant. Mad Cow disease perhaps, old age, senility, or maybe just LTML. I was driving my cherokee and wagoneer for quite some time before I really noticed the difference. Guess I had my head buried under the hood studying Renix issues too much. :laugh3:

But there are very few of the wagoneers left on the road now compared to the cherokees. I have only seen 4 Waggys on the Houston roads the last 12 months, and 2 of those were about 81 vintage. I see dozens of Cherokees an hour driving around town.

jk333 said:
That's a Cherokee for you. Super Reiliable. They're great rigs. :cheers:
All of them except mine, maybe. Ita a great rig, but not so super reliable.

Oh well, If I replace enough parts it will be new again...

Oh and i gor 230,XXX on a 4 cyl.

Back