• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden Lack of Power

FutureFireMan530

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I have an 89' Jeep Cherokee Pioneer running the 4.0 litre engine with the stock 5 speed set up. It has the peugot tranny and part time transfer case for four wheel drive.

In the last week I have noticed a sudden lack of power, for example there is a lot less acceleration, more hesitation, it has a harder time makeing it up steep hills and so on. It almost feels like something is binding or its choking, or I am constantly towing something but with no odd noises that I have noticed. I suspected blocked exhaust, so I pulled the assembly and ran it without the muffler and cat, but no luck. It is doing the same thing. Like I said, I haven't noticed any odd noises from the engine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks for the reply, but I just replaced the O2 sensor 2 months ago to pass DEQ. I will still go take a look at it and check the connections, but if there are any other ideas or possibilities I would like to hear those too. Thanks agian,
Shane

Thanks guys. I did the cap, rotor, plugs and wires at the same time I was trying to pass DEQ, those were my first options, but I have not done anything with the TPS, and how do I check for fuel pressure?

i assume i have to go get a special gauge for that. its a tid bit larger than air pressure lol. in the meantime my tps seemed alright, but that is just with a visual and a not very detailed volt reader. it gives whole numbers, i cannot find my good one. i am going to dig a little into my cap and rotor and plugs and what not and try to diagnose a little farther. thanks for all the help so far.

The fuel pressure is fine... As is the fuel filter. I checked the fuel filter the only way i know how by pulling it off and blowing trough it. not clogged, any other ideas? I also forgot to mension it is havving slightly longer starts than normal, but not by much.

FutureFireMan530 said:
The fuel pressure is fine... As is the fuel filter. I checked the fuel filter the only way i know how by pulling it off and blowing trough it. not clogged, any other ideas? I also forgot to mension it is havving slightly longer starts than normal, but not by much.

Is still stand on weak spark, it should be blue and easy jump an inch.

Since you've already replaced other ignition components and you're still getting harder starting with a lack of power, I'm inclined to agree with the diagnosis of a bad coil. The MSD 8228 is a good stock replacement.

Dude! Mine did the same thing on my way to work. The old cat barfed chunks into the muffler! That made a quickie cork and dropped my power/speed like a rock! I had to unscrew the O2 sensor in order to get to work (left my claw hammer at work the day before)

Hahah, I already knew I needed a muffler, but My cat is fine. it wasn't clogged, so that wasnt the proble, i just had a broken baffle so it rattles, but problem solved, for that anyways.

As for the lack of power I am still trouble shooting. The coil seems fine, so i chatted with my uncle who has had an 88 since new. He is thinking It a possible EGR valve, so as soon as I get the exhaust back together that's where i'm looking. Again, thanks to everyone. Hopefully i get it fixed soon. I HATE driving a Hundai. or however its spelled.

Hey i had this same prob... as funny as it may sound i pulled my fule pump and found that there is a rubber hose that was all gummy. i replaced it and cleaned the choke, the dam thing runs better then when i took it to a shop and spent over 1200 buck to get it to run right.
like i said its a long shot, but it worked for me.

Back