• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

complications. sighhhhh....

brandonj2k7

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have a pretty big problem. I started to replace my rear leaf springs but the right front bolt on the spring is frozen in the sleeve but i managed to remove it far enough that it is no longer threaded into frame, but the sleeve now just spins with the bolt. I am not really worried about this part. I am worried because i started the project out front of my house on the side of the road thinking it will be done in two days at the max. The point is that it needs to be moved to the driveway or the cops are gunna fine me. (driveway isnt as stable as the side of the road and figured it wouldnt take long :banghead:) if i bolt the springs back the way they were except for that one that is still frozen in the sleeve but not threaded will it be alright to drive another 10 feet to my drive way?

seriously embarassed by my stupidity,

Brandon

i wouldnt drive it like that, at the very least try to tap the bolt back in with a hammer enough to get it to turn in and grab a couple threads. you dont want the axle being able to move around, at the worst you would tear your driveshaft out. once you get it in the driveway back it out to where it was and saw the bolt off with a hacksaw or sawzall and go get a new one.

If the bolt is backed out of the frame part, I am guessing you are talking about the bolt that goes into the frame under the rear seat ?, cut the bolt between the spring and the outer hanger, spring should just fall out then,. I am also guessing you have the other spring already out. If not and you really have to move it rebolt it all back up, you got the hard part done, and did it without breaking the inner nut loose inside the frame. You might want to also spray the heck out of the bolt.sleeve area with powerblaster, let it sit over nite and try again in the morning.
Be prepared, the weather forecast for tomorrow looks freaking cold.

Brandon,
From what you've indicated, I think you will be fine moving the Jeep to your driveway. I say this because you're dealing with shear loads. Also, I had the same bolt come out while driving and drove it that way for about 60 miles without incident.
You'll be OK.
Adam

Take the one you got out on the other side to a good parts store, they should have them. If not find a good hardware store they should also have them, I would have my doubts about say homedepot or loews but you never know. I have a local hardware store the auto parts stores send people to for stuff like that, old timer store for the farmers around here. Off topic, I needed to fix a sling on my 12ga, the rivet broke on one end, military sling, was hoping for just one threaded stud and socket, guy gave me three different alternatives that were better than what was original LOL... had two little boxes on a top shelf covered in dust but he had the hardware, that kind of hardware store is worth it's weight in gold...

i had the same problem on my xj when i replaced the leafs. i was cranking the bolt for hours with no progress and finally realized it was just spinning and caught on the metal part of the bushing. there was just enough room to get a grinder in there and cut it out. i eneded up using one of my left over LCA bolts. i believe those bolts are grade 9.8 and im not sure if stores carry them, i know the dealership does but there quite expensive. just tap it back in and get some help pushing it.

Back