• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Suspension shaking violently

Mastodon

NAXJA Forum User
I went off-roading last week and experienced a pretty hard bump.

This thursday my front suspension started vibrating at speeds higher than 55 mph.

Today it got far worse, it shakes so violently that I'm afraid I'm going to run off the road.

It matches this 2003 repair bulletin, http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp

There's no way I'd be able to pay for something like that though.

Anyone have any recomendations?

Edit: login is fairfax password is lakebraddock

Its your steering stabilizer. Ive had that problem with almost all of my cherokees. I use a skyjacker...its like 30 bucks and takes 5 mins to change out. Good luck!

HiMiXJ said:
Its your steering stabilizer. Ive had that problem with almost all of my cherokees. I use a skyjacker...its like 30 bucks and takes 5 mins to change out. Good luck!

if the a new steering stabilizer takes death wobble away, someting else is wrong.

check for any loose or worn parts, get the front end aligned and the tires balanced.

89xj said:
if the a new steering stabilizer takes death wobble away, someting else is wrong.

check for any loose or worn parts, get the front end aligned and the tires balanced.
Not necessarily. If all else checks out (front end is in good alignment, and all parts are nice and tight and in good working order), then a stabilizer most certainly can be the source of death wobble. It was in my case, and i've put about 10K on mine, all highway with limited wheeling mixed in, since installing a skyjacker HD stabilizer to fix my death wobble (couldn't drive over 40mph or the front end would go out of control)

Last edited:
Death wobble isn’t similar to a wobble from an unbalanced tire. It is by far worse. When death wobble hits you will know… it’s a violent shake from the front end that feels like the Jeep is about to fall apart. Usually when it happens the only thing you can do to stop it is to slow down.

The first steps to eliminate death wobble should be a visual inspection of each component, check the bushings, tire balance and an alignment. These are some common things you must check anytime you lift your Jeep. Death wobble is experienced mostly on lifter Jeeps, however it is not uncommon for someone without a lift to experience the dreaded DW. Listed below are a few things you can check.

Check your Track Bar, play in this can cause the axle to shake.
1. Bushings - check to see that they are not worn. Looks for cracks, and excessive play)
2. Angles - this angle should be the same as your draglink. Use an angle finders you can get at sears to determine this, don’t just eye-ball it.
3. Bolts – Make sure all bolts are tightened down to spec (some lift components have a different torque spec then)

Check the Axle, your mounts may be worn
1. Check the axle mount. Here is a good write up on a wallowed out bolt hole
http://www.jeepin.com/features/trackbarfix/index.asp
2. Check your Universal joints, a binding or lose U-Joint can cause DW
3. On the frame end if you still use the conventional Tie Rod End or (TRE) make sure that there is no play in this, as play can cause DW.
4. Look/Check for worn/torn boots on ball joints/tie-rod ends.

Check your Tires
1. Out of balance tires can cause shaking in the front end, which can lead to death wobble.
2. Make sure all of your lug nuts are tight, (Sounds elementary but it happens to the best of us)

Check your Frame
1. Small cracks in the frame can cause the steering box to feel loose, Shaking from DW can only make this worse. 33’s and larger should have some form of Steering box brace, or frame brace in.
2. If you have upgraded your frame mount, make sure its cranked down nice and tight. (best to use an impact gun)
3. A busted Frame Mount can cause play in the front end causing DW (Keep a watchful eye on the welds as welds in sheer can break over time.

Make sure you have a good alignment
1. After you get an alignment done, have them print out the numbers for you. An XJ should have a 7* positive caster angle. A lifted XJ can’t always have that high of a number because the pinion would become out of alignment with the front driveshaft. Pinion angle takes precedence over caster.
2. Make you sure you go to a place that will adjust the caster if necessary (either by shims in the frame side of the LCAs, or adjustable LCAs).

The more adjustable parts the easier it is to tune in your suspension.
1. Adjustable Track Bar
2. Adjustable Upper and Lower Control Arms (upper ones above 4” of lift). Not only are they adjustable, but they are stronger.

Things to remember:
1. After any lift, get your Jeep professionally aligned, this is a REQUIREMENT, not a suggestion.
2. A Steering Stabilizer (SS) is not a quick fix for DW.
3. Make sure that the lift you purchase comes with all the required parts for a safe driving vehicle. (as long as its going to be a DD)
4. PLEASE ALWAYS DRIVE WITH YOUR FRONT SWAY BAR CONNECTED!

Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:

-Front tires out of balance
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Needing an adjustable track bar
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box looseness
-Need drop pitman arm
-Driveshaft(s) not balanced
-Bad front hub assembly

Torque specs:

Item ........................................ Ft. lbs. ................... Nm

Lug nuts (1/2 X 20 w/ 60* cone) .... 85-115 .............. 115-150
All tie rod ends .....................…..... 55 ...................….. 74
Steering (both ends) ..............…..... 55 ................….... 74
Shock absorber upper nut .............. 16 ................….... 22
Shock absorber lower nuts ............. 17 ................….... 23
UCA frame end .....................…...... 66 ..............…..... 89
UCA axle end .........................….... 55 ................….... 74
LCA frame end ......................…..... 85 ...................... 115
LCA axle end .........................….... 85 ...................... 115
Track bar frame end ..............…..... 60 .................…... 81
Track bar axle end .................….... 40 ..................…... 54
Track bar bracket bolts ..........…..... 92 ...................... 125
Track bar bracket nut .............….... 74 ....................... 100
Track bar bracket support bolts ...... 31 ....................... 42
Hub bolts (3) ............................…. 75 ....................... 102
Hub- axle bolt ..........................….. 175 ..................... 237

Alingment specs (stock):

Angle ............. Preferred ........... Range ............. Max R/L diff.

Caster ............ +7.0* ........ +5.25* to +8.5* ......... 1.25*
Camber ........... -0.25* ....... -0.75* to +0.5 ........... 1.0*
Total Toe-in .... +0.25* ....... 0* to +0.45* ............. .05*
Thrust angle .... 0* to ± 0.15*

Information provided by Jeeps Unlimited

99XJSPORT06 said:
Not necessarily. If all else checks out (front end is in good alignment, and all parts are nice and tight and in good working order), then a stabilizer most certainly can be the source of death wobble. It was in my case, and i've put about 10K on mine, all highway with limited wheeling mixed in, since installing a skyjacker HD stabilizer to fix my death wobble (couldn't drive over 40mph or the front end would go out of control)

i cant see a steering stabilizer as a source of DW. are you saying that the SS caused it to wobble.

did you try running without a SS?

no problem, i agree to disagree.

I had a similar problem with mine. I had really bad death wobble on the highway last year. I pulled over and my stabilizer was leaking fluid on the ground. I got the XJ back home and checked out the complete front end. No lose bolt or anything wrong with the trac-bar or steering components. I replace the stabilizer and it fixed the problem. The next time I went in for a service at the dealership I told them what happened. They had some time so they looked over the front end to make sure. They stated that a steering stabilizer can cause death wobble if it worn out.

If everything else in your front end is %100 you don't even need a stabilizer. A stabilizer will only mask problems you already have, not cause them or cure them. Simple fact.

It is true that a bad stabilizer will allow DW to be much worse, but a bad stabilizer will never cause DW.

89xj said:
i cant see a steering stabilizer as a source of DW. are you saying that the SS caused it to wobble.

did you try running without a SS?

no problem, i agree to disagree.
Not saying that it caused it to wobble, it caused it not to not wobble. In other words, the stock SS was not strong enough to compensate the changes made. I could drive at speeds less than 40mph and be OK....anything above that and it all went to hell. The stock SS was in fact worn out when I pulled it off. The thing that bugs me the most is a lot of people are so quick to say that it's not needed and to dump it. I look at it as, there was one there from the factory, it has to serve some purpose. If you're lucky enough to be able to run with out one, great. In most cases, one is necessary.

And agreed on the agree to disagree.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Not saying that it caused it to wobble, it caused it not to not wobble. In other words, the stock SS was not strong enough to compensate the changes made. I could drive at speeds less than 40mph and be OK....anything above that and it all went to hell. The stock SS was in fact worn out when I pulled it off. The thing that bugs me the most is a lot of people are so quick to say that it's not needed and to dump it. I look at it as, there was one there from the factory, it has to serve some purpose. If you're lucky enough to be able to run with out one, great. In most cases, one is necessary.

And agreed on the agree to disagree.

im just thankful that i dont have DW. i recently had the SS leaking on mine and replaced it just for piece of mind. on a stock xj with stock tires, a SS to me is just a mask for some other problem. but if you have larger tires, stock steering components along with the wimpy stock control arms, i can see where a SS is needed. im at 4.5" and have always used a SS. as i said, i just cant see it being the cause.

i had death wobble in one of my many lifted xjs mine was caused by the track arm top mount the bolts were tight and the would just spin telling me that the frame sandwhiched smaller then the mounts of the track arm

Try DW in a motorhome at 70 mph, it had a bad ss on it.. replaced an poof it was gone... They put them on for a reason..... They know more than i do... So i leave them on ..... Cause they do know more.....

xjfourplay said:
i had death wobble in one of my many lifted xjs mine was caused by the track arm top mount the bolts were tight and the would just spin telling me that the frame sandwhiched smaller then the mounts of the track arm

huh? try using punctuation and read you posts before submitting. it will help the rest of us.

Back