• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog light switch question

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ didn't come with foglights, but I want to use the factory foglight switch for my Hella 500's. Where do the wires end? I took the front panel off and they just go off into a bigger wireloom.

OK, www.jeepsareus.com sells the add on kit, it comes with a new switch bezel, new switch and all the internal wiring you need. In short once you install that kit you end up with ONE wire going thru the firewall to wherever you want to mount the hella relay, me, I mounted mine next to the battery on the fender wall, handy ground screw there. From that point on I used the Hella relay and hella lights. it also ties the fogs into the low/high beam thing for inspection purposes. The add in kit also seems to not have the burnout problem the factory installed fog switch has for some reason.
The kit is two part, the wiring part for like $80 and the light part for oh I think $90+, you dont need the light part.

the wireing from that switch goes to the forward end of the headlight harness. I have that switch on my '89 limited. Right after the harness plug, moving towards the headlights, there will be a relay with 2 lt grn wires a drk grn with blk stripe and the larger red power wire. From that relay a green with black stripe and a black wire goes to the factory plug wires for the bumper mounted fog lights.
For the wiring to the dash, starting at that relay going back on mine is a tan trigger wire that goes to the dash switch.
The relay was a 30 amp and is located just infront of the airbox in the area near the fuel power ballast (the white thingy with orange wires).

Does that help?

When I get off work tonite I will post a pic of it since I just removed the harness this week when I changed out my front to have the bigger single headlight set up.

Your 98 will even have the plug that goes to the PDC where the fog light relays go, what it won't have is the sockets in the pdc for the relays. BTDT. My 98 is an SE, other models may be different but mine is like I said. That plug even powered the switch.

Back