• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Swap and Flip?

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so here is my possibly crazy idea:

Im completely re-fabricating my rear end. Im cutting up the fenders, wheel wells, floor, basically all the sheet metal. My plan is to run 38-40s on 8” of lift or less, and still gain flex. I really want to run a longer leaf spring in the rear for more flex. However I don’t want one of those hideous rigs w/ shackles sticking out a foot past the bumper. Sooo my thought was to run a Suburban, Silverado, Blazer, or Mj rear leaf spring, then do the leaf spring flip, keep my rear shackles in the factory location, and remount the front of the leaf spring farther forward. Currently I sit at 102” but Id like to be about 105”, so pushing the rear axle back a little bit for me is still a good thing.
Obviously I still have to sit down and run some numbers too see what leaf spring length Im going to need, and exactly how far Im going to need to move the front mount.

Has anyone done this? How crazy am I? Am I over looking anything?

I don't understand how you can increase your wheelbase, add longer leaf springs and also keep the stock shackle mounting point... that doesnt add up. A longer spring with the shackle in the same place would move the axle forward...

You may know this, but just flipping the xj springs will give you a few inches more wheelbase. That obviously won't give you longer springs, though.

racer32 said:
I don't understand how you can increase your wheelbase, add longer leaf springs and also keep the stock shackle mounting point... that doesnt add up. A longer spring with the shackle in the same place would move the axle forward...

The centering pin on XJ springs is offset to the front. If you spin them around front to back, they'll be offset to the rear.

Pat said:
You may know this, but just flipping the xj springs will give you a few inches more wheelbase. That obviously won't give you longer springs, though.

Its true, just flipped mine and got an extra 5"......and looks great with 42's

BRIANHO13 said:

I just heard that you got the rear situated...and that there is a pic of it floating around.

RenegadeStang said:
The centering pin on XJ springs is offset to the front. If you spin them around front to back, they'll be offset to the rear.

Yes and then the springs have the larger frame end bushing in the shackle... I guess if its trail only you can run your junk any way you want... carry on

BRIANHO13 said:

Brian, You're running 42's? How does the front 44 handle those? You have 35 splines in the 9" I hope?

Dude tell me more. Sounds awesome.

For Bakersfield: I run 38's on 6.5" and RTI 1000+. Chopping the pinch seam on the rear and patching to keep the integrity will buy you alot of stuff in the wells.
I'm at 102 as well.

actually swapping in a front 60 and 14b, got such a good deal on the tires I had to.

Yea, I'm building a 609 front. tired of snapping alloy outters, gets cost prohibitive. LOL.

Ya im definitely cutting past the pinch seam, and it shouldn’t change anything structurally because I am fabricating new wheel wells, and it has an 6 point cage right now that’s getting up graded to an 8 point w. braces along the floor.

Basically my questions is there any reason I cant run a longer leaf spring, flip it to gain length, but then move the front leaf spring frame mount forward so that the new longer leaf will only set the axle back 2 or 3 inches and so I can keep the rear shackle in the stock location?

I already know leafs are off set, and how to get the extra 5in wheel base outta a xj leaf, and that the bushings are not the same size, but thats not my question.

Back