• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS Shock Conversion PROBLEM!!

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so last night i started putting everything together for my shock conversion kit. Pre threaded the bolts and went outside and started with the drivers side first, since i figured it was going to be the hardest. Well i get my old shock off, set up the new one with the shock conversion and i cant keep the mount from moving while im trying to tighten the bolt under the hood. I got my dad out there and we tried putting a metal pipe in between the fender well and the mount and it just slips. So what i want to know is how the HELL! did you guys install these things?

Last edited:
A vise grip applied lightly on the top lip ( thin round piece) will keep it steady.

I dont have any vice grips. And i still cant get these things tight. Id thrown everything in between the mount and the fenderwell and it just wont hold it. I ended up taking it off and rethreading it. and now im stuck with no front shocks atm! :(

just shoving things between it and the fender well isnt gonna work man u got to grab it with something like vise grips, pliers, etc. if you dont have any of these then go buy some at home depot or some other hardware store you can pick up a set for like $5 if you dont get the right tool then u will never get it mounted and you should just put ur old shock back on

Vise grips, pipe wrench or channel locks work like a charm

Ya'll are making this way too difficult. Mount the shock to it, but not the axle. Lift the shock out sideways, so it's sticking out the side of the fender well, perpendicular to the mount. Have someone hold it, tighten the nut under the hood.

91 Jeep Project said:
Ya'll are making this way too difficult. Mount the shock to it, but not the axle. Lift the shock out sideways, so it's sticking out the side of the fender well, perpendicular to the mount. Have someone hold it, tighten the nut under the hood.

x2. Thats how I did mine...:cheers:

Looks like the same setup they use on the disconnects, I just stuck a drift pin/pry bar thru wihile I tightened that bracket, actually both on the TJ.

Back