• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brush Guards

jlmxj49

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to put a brush/grill guard on my 01 XJ. I mainly want one for looks as I won't be doing any major off roading with it right now anyway. I also don't really want to spend $400 plus on one and I've found these I listed below for less than $300. All three have a good looking black frame mounted brush guard. Does anyone know anything about them?

Grizzly Tubular Product
Ram Off Road Safari Guard
UB Products

sounds like this might be a good idea for you.. http://www.quadratec.com/products/72108_1002.htm Even with the truck shipping, you should still be under 400.

I think it looks better than any of the bolt-on brush guards, has an OEM type look to it. Warrior sells a version with d-ring tabs, but they only use the stock mounting points, so I didn't link to that one. You can add tow hook mounts later if you want to do real offroading later.

even if you dont do a lot of offroading i would recommend a real bumper. they do come in very handy at times.... hitting deer, bumper crunchers... just little things, it will make sure you will come out on top. just my .02. and there are some more budget bumpers out there. jcroffroad makes some great stuff for good prices. do a little searching and you will come up with a lot for under 400.

d-giggity

Brush guards are useless.

lancey3 said:
Brush guards are useless.
to each his own. post your reasoning or... :)

i have a brush guard that i bought off a buddy who got into a minor fender bender and bent the mounting bracket on it and I fixed it and have been running it ever since. as far as hard core off-roading then yah get something more like a real bumper but if you want some more for looks then spend the money on a nice brush guard. my brush guard has come in handy plenty of times whether its been minor fender benders, pushing trees and other things out of the way on the trail, actually protecting my front end off-road from large brush, and i have my very large IPF lights on them that were too big to mount just to the bumper. unfortunately yah brand new some of these brush buards are pretty pricey and you can get a whole bumper for cheaper than some of them even tho some of those bumpers are just ugly as sin, but look around on places like craigslist.com and ebay alot of times you can find a used one for $150 that may at most just need a coat of paint. take a look around for a deal like that. When i get to the point of when i have the money for a bumper then thats what i plan to do with mine just sell it for liek $150-200 bucks. that warrior bumper is a really good lookin bumper just wish they made a version that could hold a winch and has a wrap around brush guard

I would opt for JCR's prerunner bumper for $295 and get the $44 brackets to tie it into the frame, if you really want it to look knarly hang a couple of chrome D rings on the shackle mounts. The bumper is the way to go.

whatevah said:
sounds like this might be a good idea for you.. http://www.quadratec.com/products/72108_1002.htm Even with the truck shipping, you should still be under 400.

I think it looks better than any of the bolt-on brush guards, has an OEM type look to it. Warrior sells a version with d-ring tabs, but they only use the stock mounting points, so I didn't link to that one. You can add tow hook mounts later if you want to do real offroading later.

That's a sweet looking bumper. What do you about the inner fender plastic that goes up inside the original bumper caps? Cut them off? I don't guess anyone here has one of these mounted on their XJ do they?

jlmxj49 said:
That's a sweet looking bumper. What do you about the inner fender plastic that goes up inside the original bumper caps? Cut them off? I don't guess anyone here has one of these mounted on their XJ do they?
OK, $239 + 100 S&H + whatever the brushguard costs, note it's not included with the bumper, it's an option.
The JCR is still a better option.

Actually if you pay attention to quadratec's listing for the brushguard they have two bumpers from warrior one listed with the brushguard and one without the one without is $184.99 the one linked here is the one with the brushguard. Now the d-rings listed as an option im not sure are on that particular bumper linked here but the brushguard defiantely comes on it for $239.99. I agree that that is an awsome looking bumper just wish the brush guard wrapped arond the front corners and could hold a winch.

If you're going solely for looks, a brush guard from what I beleive to be a Ford Explorer looks pretty cool. It's more of an actual brush guard, than a bumper though. I've got one on mine right now, but it'll be gone as soon as I can afford a winch bumper. I can post some pics if you want.

Last edited:
Here is some more on the warrior http://www.warriorproducts.com/catalog/catalog.php
Thinking about it this came up a couple of years ago as I remember. It does look pretty good for the price and I ccould save the $100 by driving down there and picking it up from QT on one of those pickup the daughter at Temple Fridays I've grown to love so much for a fast 190 mile/12 gallons of gas day......
Wonder if there is some way to hinge that brush guard though, be a PIA if you had to take it off to remove the headlight bezels to change the bulbs...

to clarify... the bumper I linked to above DOES come with the brush guard. http://www.quadratec.com/products/72108_1002.htm $239.99 plus shipping.

the one with the brush guard and d-ring tabs is $289.99 plus shipping.http://www.quadratec.com/products/72108_1003.htm

Quadratec doesn't stock those bumpers, so I don't think local pickup is an option. I'd suggest contacting WheelinJR (here on naxja) since he works at/with Warrior. He might know somebody to contact to get a deal on them.

As for the splash guard inner fender stuff, I trimmed mine with a utility knife (razor blade).

Back