• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AHHHH. Lifting my 98 XJ.

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, well I I have a 98 classic, NP231, 8.25 out back. I was going to take a loan out and buy a newish TJ, but decided against car payment so I'm going to keep my Jeep and turn it into the vehicle I want. I bought the tires today, I know I know you're thinking LIFT first right ? Well,I bought the tires first so now I HAVE to save the rest of the money needed for a lift. :) 31x10.5R15 Paid $489 for all 4.

Photo0038.jpg

I have something like $500 set aside for a lift as of right now. I could opt out for the 3" rough country and get it sooner or continue to save for a RE 3.5 super rid e lift kit for something like $200 more. I've heard that a 3.5" RE kit is something like 4.5" of true lift. So with such a big lift, won't I need a drop pitman arm, a new track bar, ect... ? I guess I just need some guidance from people who have been where I am before, so I don't screw anything up.

Yes, but will the super-ride kit work right out of box, or will other outside components have to be purchased ?

save.save.save
buy now and buy again later!If you area sucker!

you might need an SYE and DS... I think those are the only two things that aren't included in the kit. If it is going to net 4.5" it's almost a must.

bcmaxx said:
save.save.save
buy now and buy again later!If you area sucker!

words to live by(the first part anyway.) Buying the cheaper lift now will only cost you more in the long run. Trackbar relocation brackets suck and so do add-a-leafs. Get a kit that comes with a new trackbar and full leaf packs. my .2 cents

i would also agree on going with RE. It took my brother 2 nights to get my lift on (and thats only working for like an hour and a half each time. Everything will bolt right up, provoding you have no issues getting the old hardware out. all you gotta do is make sure to specify which axle you have in the rear when you order your kit, so you get the correct u bolts.

Alright so now I'm back to saving money. :) The 31s fit on my Jeep, they rub some on left turns, but it's just hitting the inner lining. I don't dare take it down any trails until those things get some more clearance from hitting my fenders.

101_3184.jpg

the 3.5" kit settles down to close to 3.5". i found that an SYE and ds were a must but i didnt get it installed for over a month after i did my lift. a tracbar is usually suggested but some people dont and are fine without it. you dont need a drop pitman arm, if you had like 6+" of lift you would. i decided to go the route of doing it right the first time. the 3.5" RE comes with most things you will need, like a new rear brake line. you can save some money and just relocate the front brake lines. and deff. get it aligned after you lift it.

camarors8992 said:
Alright so now I'm back to saving money. :) The 31s fit on my Jeep, they rub some on left turns, but it's just hitting the inner lining. I don't dare take it down any trails until those things get some more clearance from hitting my fenders.

101_3184.jpg

trim those fenders and your bumper.

is that a light bar or just lights on your stock crossbars? im looking into getting a carr light bar, the one that folds down.

I'm going to upgrade my status here to a Red member just as soon as my funds clears paypal. 3-5 business days it says, sorry it took so long for me to do.

Wow everyone puts RC down. I have had 2 RC lifts the newest a 4.5". I absolutely love it. It came with new lower control arms and adjustable trac bar, I havent had a problem with it yet....

i just did the same project. i did a 3.5" RE Superflex kit with the addition of adjustable UCAs... ended up having to get a new tracbar as i bonered the redrill. spend the extra on full leaf packs!!!

if you decide to do a hack and tap on your tc- be prepared and patient when tappin the hole- it took me and a frined about 4 hours to tap while switching out due to fatigued arms. back your tap out often and use LOTS of cutting oil or Niks Stix.

my rig rides really nice!!! you will not regret the RE purchase.

Just this trail in Baldwinsville. Nothing difficult though. :( Now I've heard there are many trails in the Tully area however.

yup save up for the RE lift. I've got the 4.5" RE super flex with 34's. I'm riding at around 5.5" in the front and almost 6" in the back. Everything is solid. Check out the vendors forum and you could possibly get some discounts on the RE stuff.
Just my .02

Back