• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major Clutch Trouble- Sorry So Long

sidewys xj

NAXJA Forum User
1991 Jeep XJ 4.0 AX15 231 Internal Slave Cylinder.

It all started three weeks ago on a wheeling trip. My pilot bearing started to squeal. So I knew I had to pull the transmission to fix it so at that time I decided to put a clutch kit in it which consists of pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch disc, and slave cylinder. So I pulled the transmission, put the entire kit in, followed directions step by step on slave cylinder installation and entire kit. Got it all put back together, bled the clutch system the traditional way which is push clutch down, crack the bleeder valve, close bleeder valve, and let clutch return. It did not seem like it was getting any peddle. Did so for about two and half hours then went to gravity bleeding which consisted of cracking bleeder and letting fluid run for about six hours. Nothing. Jumped in and took it for a ride. Worked great for about 15 minutes. Then could not get it into gear. To make this part of the story short, talked to numerous mechanics and came to the conclusion parts were faulty. Removed transmission again, replaced all parts again including the clutch master cylinder this time. Went through about the same procedure again and again nothing. Decided that the clutch master was not making a full stroke so added a 1/4" to the master cylinder shaft. Now getting a full stroke. It seemed to work a lot better after that. It lasted about 25 minutes and now nothing. Got to be air in it, right? Decided to try vacuum bleeding and have done so for about seven hours now. Still acts the same. Works great in the shop, drive it around for about 25-30 minutes and then the clutch quits working. I feel that I have bleed the system to the best of my knowledge.
:bawl:
Luke

bleeding the clutch with the pedal doesn't work very well.
I had most of the same problems you're describing when I changed my master.
Find someone with a vacuum bleeding setup, that fixed mine in about 5 minutes.

I don't know if this fits your problem, but my clutch peddle was cracked and was slowly bending.

sidewys xj said:
Looked the peddle over really well looks fine.

Thanks

Check to see if the side that connects to the master is bent. :) I had that problem. Is it internal slave and what brand of parts did you put in?

Yea all that stuff is new got the parts from oriley auto parts This is the second set of parts I inspected the hole clutch system everything looks fine

Thanks

sidewys xj said:
Yea all that stuff is new got the parts from oriley auto parts This is the second set of parts I inspected the hole clutch system everything looks fine

Thanks

Internal?

I Have heard that some rebuild parts have come faulty. I personally have not experienced this but have talked to a couple of local mechanics that have gotten multiple bad parts from places like oriely's and advanced. I would suspect a bending pedel or something not tight letting air in. Just a thought.

Yea I would hate to have to pull the tranny agian and replace the parts agian thanks for insite I am not ready to give up with this setup yet but I am thinking about doing the 94-96 xturnal slave setup next

KEEP THEM COMING GUYS

Thanks Luke

sidewys xj said:
Yea I would hate to have to pull the tranny agian and replace the parts agian thanks for insite I am not ready to give up with this setup yet but I am thinking about doing the 94-96 xturnal slave setup next

KEEP THEM COMING GUYS

Thanks Luke
That would be my recomendation went it went out. I hate internal slaves.

are u leaking fluid? maybe u forgot to put one of the tiny rubber orings in the internal slaving fitting for the resovoir and it leaks and u loose pressure. Just a thought.

U dont have it that bad i put in a new clutch and internal slave and forgot to put a new oring gasket in the trannsmission, now my tranny leaks pretty bad. Waiting on finding a 8.25 axle and tear it all apart and fix it again all at once.

The first time was a pretty fast install but the second time we watched everything really close I put all the little o rings on my self 2 on each tube I say that we have bleed the system very well but I still think its air ?

Luke

Back