• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd problem w/digital clock

CRJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
Hasn't been a major problem but one of those annoying little things I'd like to get right! It's hard to see a watch when it's dark out, haha.

I replaced the bulb behind the digital clock in my '88 as it was out when I bought the jeep. Now the face of the clock (where it should read out the time) is just a rectangular patch of bright green, no time shown. I thought the clock was toast so bought a junkyard'r and it does the same thing. When I hook either clock directly to a 12v source, I can just faintly see the numbers on the face (I don't recall if the bulb was out when I tested it this way, I think it was).

I have read this page http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoDashClock.htm and plan to open it up this weekend to tinker with it some more, but wondered if anybody else had this problem and if so what it turned out to be. The clock I have matches the one shown under "89 wiring" on the link above, doesn't have a dimmer wire just power for the clock, switched power for the light, and that's it.

I guess first thing to test is to make sure I am getting 12V on the clock wire, but even if I am why would the bulb be so bright? It is a #74....

Any suggestions appreciated :)

edit...just re-reading the web page again, it occured to me that it's odd I have an 89 clock in my 88....I need to check the wiring harness and see if there's 4 wires dash side (as in 88) or 5 wires (as in 89)....might need to hard wire 'er :)

Last edited:
Back