• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low/Rough Idle until warm...

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I'm in need of your advice once again... :)

My Jeep is a 93 XJ (4.0L) and it is having some issues in this cold weather we're having (it's been anywhere from -40C to -20C the last few weeks).

Anyways, I go outside and start my Jeep to let it warm up before I take it out to work. I usually leave the block heater plugged in when it's really cold. It'll start just fine, but it won't idle. I have to keep my foot on the gas slightly to keep the rev's around 1K... if I take my foot off, then they drop rapidly until it stalls. If I sit there and keep on the gas until it's half warm, then sometimes it'll idle on its own, but at maybe 500rpm and it's kinda rough sounding. Once it's warm or if I take it for a drive, then it'll idle just fine on it's own and it'll usually be fine for the rest of the day... it's just the initial startup/dethaw phase where it simply won't idle.

It's getting frustrating because I have to sit outside in a freezing Jeep in -40C weather until it warms up to the point where it'll idle on its own... then I go inside and warm myself back up and then I go back out into my warm Jeep and head to work. It adds a lot of time to my already long commute everyday. :p

Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark

Back