• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trading axles - Will any year XJ be a direct swap?

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a Chryco 8.25 rear to replace my d35, is there any difference in the 80s - 90s - 97+ as far as bolting and mounting these on?

I did a search, but nothing gave me straight answers to my question.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :worship:

As long as its 5x4.5 bolt pattern and from an XJ(which should me it has the correct bolt pattern), it will bolt in...though you may have driveshaft length issues. As the 8.25 has a longer pinion than a D35.

They will all bolt up,but there are alot of other differences.Youll want a 96+ and youll lose your ABS.

Bouncy said:
As long as its 5x4.5 bolt pattern and from an XJ(which should me it has the correct bolt pattern), it will bolt in...though you may have driveshaft length issues. As the 8.25 has a longer pinion than a D35.

Ok the DS is no problem, I am going with an SYE so I'll end up needing to get a new Shaft. SO AS LONG AS IT IS A 96+ :5 on 4.5: I WILL BE GOOD TO GO.

I guess I'll live without the ABS :eyes:

97+ is the 29 spline model. Anything older then 96 is the 27 spline. While the 29 spline is slightly stronger the 27 spline has cheaper locker options ( lock rite) where with the 29 spline you have to go with a no- slip or something which is slightly more expensive. Also look into disc brakes off a zj.

I have the ZJ parts for the brake conversion if interested.

The rest is true about the 27/29 spline count stuff as mentioned.

Driveshaft option...IF your not lifted too much, you can use a front driveshaft off an XJ for the rear. Given the longer nose of the 8.25 and mild lift 4.5"...maybe 6" max, you can go with an XJ front shaft from a junk yard for like $20-25 (around me at least)

I may be stating the obvious here, but you gotta make sure it has the same gear ratio!!

Also, you'll want new Ubolts. The 8.25 tubes are thicker (3-3.25").

it doesn't really matter if you're regearing, but here's the gear options you're looking at

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

note that the numerically largest gears available for the 8.25 are 4.56 which are really torquey on 33's, ok on 34's and a little slow on 35s.... food for thought.

Hammered said:
...OK going to the Junk Yard for the drive shaft., I just want to Check again before I go.

Is it the front MANUAL or AUTOMATIC Drive shaft that I want? Thanks.

just one thing

think 8.8 if at all possible

and the driveshaft is from a automatic

Back