• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to convert to an open cooling system???

jragan

NAXJA Forum User
I am puzzled, OK maybe not puzzle just coming to the fact the close system might be crap. Currently my jeep runs just under 190 degrees and can not get it to heat up until I start to climb a good grade (note I am in Colorado so we have some real good grades to go up). On the trail, highway (unless hill), and around town will not get to 190, however almost pegs out when hitting a pass or hard grade.

Here is what I have done and do to attempt to prevent it... New thermostat, new overflow bottle (sealed system so no radiator cap), Radiator 3 years old, resently flushed system, and new fan clutch.

When coming to a long climb I have an over ride switch on the Electric fan that gets turned on right away, allowing for both fans to be running all the time. I also take it out of over drive the first time it shifts down out of over drive.

Any other ideas? I think the rest of the stats on the jeep are in my sig below.

I didnt see anything about a tranny cooler. Do you have one? IF not your tranny could be heating up making the truck heat up since the stock setup is the radiator cools the tranny.

Rad can plug in three years time.I had the exact problem with my closed system, It never overheated even when crawling. only when I went uphill or over a summit

What temp thermostat? Sounds like you went cold.

Why the overide switch on the electric fan? A properlly maintained and operating system will not need an overide.

Did you change the pressure cap as well as the tank?

And, yes, a radiator can plug in 3 years.

Rev

Thermostat is 195 degree. The over ride switch was put on the jeep before I bought it, have just been trying to switch it on early to see if it helps, which it does not. It seem to work OK with out the switch on. I did replace the pressure cap also.

Trany cooler is stock, it was disconnected when I bought it however I reconnected it.

I know the radiator could plug especially when did the flush the way the fluid looked and it started to run cooler when it flushed it now I think about it. Have a feeling I am look at a new radiator.

Since the Radiator is the major part of converting to an open system is it really worth switching?

jragan said:
I know the radiator could plug especially when did the flush the way the fluid looked and it started to run cooler when it flushed it now I think about it. Have a feeling I am look at a new radiator.

Since the Radiator is the major part of converting to an open system is it really worth switching?

The open system won't help it cool any better, but it was worth it to me just to get rid of that pesky constantly leaking resevoir bottle. That thing was the source of most of my over heating issues. If you're going to buy a new radiator, why not just go ahead and convert it to a newer style open system??? If you do make sure you buy the newer style heater control valve. I think I got a brand new one off of ebay for like $10.

I would not convert to the open system, no reason to.

IF you are not getting up to 210 os so crusing around town, then it sounds like the thermostat is bad, stuck open. Replace that 1st, go from there.

Rev

Sorry, I drive my truck more and it runs 190. The jeep runs with in a needle of 210 both higher and lower. Except climbing as stated. Still pulled thermostat and tested in water on stove and it is fine. Electric fan is pulling air not pushing so wiring is fine.

Tranny cooler, did not think about the that. Have been thinking about a trans temperature gauge. It has the stock cooler small, but it is there. It is also heating up when it is shifting alot. Think this might be my next area to look at.

If that does not work I would think it would be radiator. Thoughts??

A fresh rad should do it. Maybe water pump. Change over if you like or someone Did sell a metal bottle at one time anyway.
Manual E-fan switches that disable the fans normal operating manner. Have done more harm then good. If yours will still operate by the sensor, cool. If not I would consider making it so.

Back