• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do?

cftj xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a new to me 1995 Cherokee Sport, 4dr Auto, np231, dana 30 and the 8.25. I sold my CJ7 and came out money ahead. There's a little bit of work to do, like most jeeps it leaks oil. It needs a new exhaust, but is in spectacular shape considering. There is almost no rust, and none that I'm concerned about. Its got a 4.0, and auto. other than that still pretty basic. The only thing I'm wanting is cruise, and I can deal with not having that.

Drivers.jpg

its got 192K, so do I need to do fluids? spark plugs? tune up? It is a weekend warrior, (well about 3-4 times a year)
There are no skid plates under it at all, it has no tow points up front, and a 2" reciever in the rear.

So my question is, on a total budget of $1300 dollars, including for repairs, what would you do get it ready to go mild wheeling? Tuttle Creek ORV is the only place I've been so far.

My CJ http://pioneer4wheelers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9
My XJ http://pioneer4wheelers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278

Of course you want to check all your fluids (levels and color) and the plugs. Whenever I buy a car I always change the fluids and tune it up so that I know the last time it had each (without any doubt).

You can get some Tow Hooks w/brackets for the front for about $85 shipped. You can even get a tow hook receiver or "D" ring receiver for the rear for around $30. Check a local junk yard for Cherokees with the stock nose skid plate and the tow package tranny skid plate. Both are functional and prolly all you need for mild wheeling.

IF you aren't doing anything but mild wheeling, get yourself a spacer/shackle 2" budget boost (no lift blocks) and some 30 or 31" tires. You will be surprised how far this will take you... you will probably also be surprised how quick you want to go higher and get bigger tires!! >:) That 2" lift and some good ATs (General Grabber AT2s are good and cost effective) or some mild MTs (Trxus MT are about the best value) will keep you under budget and still let you have plenty of fun.

fix any mechanical problems than buy the biggest tire you can afford and some sawzal blazes:D

tow points front and rear would help to:looney:

a 2" budget boost is a great deal cause you can use the spacers and shackles with other lifts to net more lift. and because of the unibody all your lift will be suspension lift and no body lift like your CJ.

tigerShark said:
a 2" budget boost is a great deal cause you can use the spacers and shackles with other lifts to net more lift. and because of the unibody all your lift will be suspension lift and no body lift like your CJ.

X2. You can always add that spacer/shackle lift onto a larger lift. I have a 3" inch coil/leaf sprinf lift and a 2" spacer/shackle lift.

start with recovery points and skids (after mechanical issues and tune-up). Search the local salvage yards for good deals. Make sure you don't do damage to anything while wheeling....then lift and tires.

I ended up with a 3" rustys AAL. I'm really happy with it. I have the factory skids from a salvage yard that still need to go on. and eventually a new front bumper.

Now I'm just trying to figure out the mileage. I'm getting about 14mpg. I've replaced the plugs, wires, O2 sensor and put the new muffler on. and ran a tank of lucas FI cleaner through it. I've got 192K on it, but I thought is should get closer to 18-20, even with the auto.

100_3701.jpg

http://pioneer4wheelers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278

I average about 15 to 16 now that I am on 33s. You should be a little higher, but all Jeeps are different. When I was at 3" on 31s I was still getting about around 19mpg highway and that was with 350,000 miles. Sounds like you have done what I would do as far as tuning it up. Get a new air filter and run Royal Purple oil in. You might go ahead and change ALL the fluids (oil, tranny, axles, blinkers).

Back