• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carb problems

badabing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I have a 84 with a 2.5 . My problem is I am getting a overflow of fuel when I start the jeep. The gas just pores out of the top , overflow vent?, and the evaporator vapor line to the canister.
I rebuilt the carb thinking the float was stuck, still does it. I traced the lines and everything seems to be in the right place..
Please Help..I am stumped

It still sounds like the float is either stuck or you've got something in the pintle seat keeping it from seating. If you've got the float height set correctly and you're not running an aftermarket pump that will push the valve open, than it's either stuck open or not able to seat closed. I'm assuming the float was not full of fuel and not able to float.

I'd definetly check the float valve for sticking and the float itself to see that it actually floats and is not bloated with fuel. Fuel pressure would be a good place to look too.

I agree with Shorty and Tanker as to the most logical explanation.

One other possibility might involve the purge solenoid for the vapor recovery system. I have no idea as to whether this is possible with the normal setup but I know that I pressured up my system once when installing a new carb. I don't know exactly how it could happen but, when I started the Jeep, i had the entire fuel system pressured up to the point that I think gas was literally coming out of every connection in the engine compartment. Scared hell out of me and I was afraid something was going to explode before I could get the thing turned off.

In my case I obviously had the plumbing totally screwed up but I am pretty sure the net effect resulted from not having the purge solenoid hooked up properly. Again, I don't know if this could happen in an otherwise properly plumbed system, but you might check to make sure the solenoid is opening only when the engine is off. In the meantime perhaps someone can comment as to whether this is a viable explanation.

I guess anything is possible-- maybe if you had direct engine vacuum ported to the canister vent and a high enough float level, you could suck fuel from the bowl into everything. I've never seen it, mind you, but I guess it could happen.....:flame:

At least you were kind enough to not ask the pertinent question: How could anyone be dumb enough to screw up the purge system plumbing badly enough to cause this!!?...LOL.

I don't want to get too far afield from badabing's problem but will say that it is still counterintuitive to my wee brain that a vacuum will force gas out of clamped hose fittings as opposed to sucking air in. An example is the short flex section at the firewall between the hard line from the tank and the short piece of hard line to the fuel pump (if you are familiar with the 84-85). Gas was pouring out of these connections although the clamps were tight at the time and haven't been further tightened to this day. At the time I was in the process of putting in a Weber carb and had way too many other issues with the nearly 20 year old 85 to try to come up with a logical explanation.

In any event your explanation may make good sense. All this probably isn't helping badabing but who knows when trying to sort out these 24 year old trucks.

Thanks guys, now I am waiting for the float to come in, as with any thing else I found out with this jeep..:confused1 Yeah the first time the fuel was over flowing, it was poaring out, I about craped my pants.
I was thinking about the the vapor system also. I unpluged the hoses to the canister and the larger hose from the carb to the purge solenoid to the canister. And started it and it still overflowed from the carb..Well waiting for the float and a new filter

Hey, since we have a thread about carbs going I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Weber carbs. More specifically, the Weber 38 DGES.

Since I installed it I've realized that it kicks total ass but when I do a hard right turn my engine chugs or even stalls out. It is worse the more open the throttle is.

I suspect the float is out of alignment but I am unsure what way to adjust it and I don't really want to start moving it up and down playing with it. It is also -25C right now and I don't have a garage so doing this ONCE is paramount.

Back