• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have a axle swap ?

andy5569

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondring if it would be a worth while swap to swap the rear axel out of a 84 xj with 4cyl and stick into my 87 4.0 thanks for any help

Seriously it depends on a lot of things.

You may have a d44 if so DONT swap it. else maybe you can get 4.10 gears from swaping but you would have to regear the front.

It would be worth the time if the axle has 4:11's. Care to elaborate on your setup?

andy5569 said:
sorrry its a 35 with 3.07s
if you get the front axle as well, swap them both. The power difference will be great. Is your rig lifted at all?

jk333 said:
if you get the front axle as well, swap them both. The power difference will be great. Is your rig lifted at all?

he HAS to swap them both otherwise he cant use 4wd..

Because if your front gear ratio is differant from the rear and you put it in 4wheel drive,they will spin at different speeds,thus causing you to have to go and pick up all the broken drive line pieces in a 5gallon bucket.And also ,if you do this, God will kill a kitten.:rof:

frank36 said:
Because if your front gear ratio is differant from the rear and you put it in 4wheel drive,they will spin at different speeds,thus causing you to have to go and pick up all the broken drive line pieces in a 5gallon bucket.And also ,if you do this, God will kill a kitten.:rof:

oh!:doh: well thats no big deal i have always been more of dog person.lol thanks for your help

I have a similar question...

I have a 96 with a 35 front axle (obviously) and a 8.25 rear, both with 3.55s. I also have a manual 4 cyl MJ with a 35 front and (I am assuming) 4.10 gears. Could I remove th R&P from the MJ axle and put it in my 35? Would I need the axles too? Obviousy I would regear the back as well...

Maverickj1 said:
I have a similar question...

I have a 96 with a 35 front axle (obviously) and a 8.25 rear, both with 3.55s. I also have a manual 4 cyl MJ with a 35 front and (I am assuming) 4.10 gears. Could I remove th R&P from the MJ axle and put it in my 35? Would I need the axles too? Obviousy I would regear the back as well...

Your front is a D30. The MJ might have 4.10 gears, but it's possible that it may not. Easy enough the check, right? The ring and pinion should exchange between any XJ/MJ D30 (http://www.drivetraindirect.com/ring_and_pinion_jeep.htm). You might have to swap the carrier too. I might be easier to just swap the whole axle, depending if the MJ is a disconnect style axle.

Yeah, sorry, I meant d30. The axle tubes, hubs, etc. are rusted and crappy. I can't even get the wheel off, it's rusted so bad. I was just wondering if the insides would swap into my newer d30 in my 96 as a cheaper way to regear.

I don't see any reason you couldn't. You'd have to setup the gears again, so some experience or a friend with a little experience would be helpful.

Back