• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights....again.

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Yup I know...search. Did. Brings up general results...like every other time I search for something common. lol.

Anyway, I have an 00 XJ. Had a set of ebay HID's, but one of the ballasts(or bulb, not sure) screwed off, leaving me with one headlight, and a need for another. My thoughts....wiring upgrade + H4's again. I have Autopal e-codes btw.

Only thing...I read everywhere that bulbs are "12v 60/55w=135/125w" WTF Does this mean?!? I know its the wattage of the high/low beams...but how can it only take 60w, which I know it doesnt even get, but put out 135w? The gas in the bulb? (We use the mini CFL bulbs in our house, the 11w bulbs are supposed to duplicate a 40w bulb....AND THEY DONT! So I'm going to assume this wont be any different for now.)

I've read lots of threads saying ebay is crap, this is crap, thats crap. No one ever says anything about GOOD bulbs. All kinds of stuff about housings, nothing about bulbs. (Except silverstars...lots about those over rated pieces of crap)

Even PIAA bulbs and higher quality bulbs say "12v 60/55w=135/125w" or something close to. This true or rubbish? I dont want cheapo ebay H4 bulbs, I know they blow. I also don't want to spend $100 on H4 bulbs...I could just buy another set of HID's.

Question being, without spending a ton of money on useless bulbs, can someone point me in the right direction? I've trolled the forum, and ebay, but I'm still posting this. I just want a good amount of light(In the 5000k-6000k range, my HID's were 8000k and a little too blue). I want to be able to turn my high-beams on and knock people over. I just dont buy into this "12v 60/55w=135/125w" stuff. Anyone know of decent bulbs that dont costs as much as my rent?

Thanks for any input, and please look past my ignorance if I'm just missing something with the search feature LOL.

Last edited:
Dude read up on some electrical stuff, I'm sure it will cook your noodle. Watts, volts, and amps are all completely different. Yes the 130/95 watt bulbs are mega bright, and yes they can put out that much power. NOT with the stock wiring though. If you really want good lighting, do just what you were pondering. Buy the autopals/hellas/cibies. Upgrade to a 10/12 gauge harness, and throw in some super wattage bulbs.

If you have the autopal housings already, I'm assuming they are e codes ? then get a set of H4 bulbs. The xenon bulbs put out the whitest light which I prefer.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp
I don't like the blue ones, they actually filter out light just like a camera filter.

i'm running hella e-code h4's with osram silverstar bulbs, i am extremely happy with this set up. eventually i'll get around to doing the wiring upgrade so they get the full voltage, but for now they work fantastic. at night in the desert the highbeams are frickin' awesome.

do the wiring upgrade, buy the new HYPER bulbs from rallylights.com for use in the autopal e4 housings they are AWESOME!! the lights won't be as good if you don't upgrade the wiring i used 12 ga. make sure you use relays. The blue bulbs that come with the atuopal e4 housings off of ebay SUCK!!! they give you a really s%#t light pattern because of the blue coating and the reflector optics and have a very sharp cutoff, where the hypers with the upgraded wiring just throw lots of light without the sharp cutoff and also aren't offensive to other drivers. I have had these for several months and have been behind a pa state trooper at night and haven't even gooten flashed once for people thinking i was using high beams and the trooper didn't notice (i guess) either.

Back