• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know how long the rear driveshaft is so I can tell DPG how long so he can make the new shaft. I know, I know, search. :D And I did. I couldn't find anything mentioning the length of the driveshafts.
I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy new lift parts. I think I'm gonna get the 4" RE Hybrid system from him just to make it easier on install. Also I want the parts ASAP and I've heard T&T can be slow. I was looking at their Y-link system w/DPG 5" Trailgunner leafs in back. Anyways, I don't have my Jeep here with me to measure the shaft length and I need to make the order soon. Any help??

Your gonna get a ton of answers and they will all be different. Drive shaft lengths will be different on every jeep with a different lift. Even 2 exact same year jeeps, with the exact same lift kit can measure different as the lifts will settle in differently.
I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth. I can measure mine and tell you what it is, but it would not be the same as yours.
Given the fact that driveshafts are NOT cheap, it is best to lift it, change your pinion angle and then measure. You can usually get away with driving around on the front shaft in FWD for awhile till it comes in.

My driveshafts are:

Rear: 33 7/8 "

Front 34 1/8 "

Neither of those are likely to fit your jeep. You need to get your suspension on, your SYE in, your pinion angle set, and measure to order the shaft.

I was mainly looking for what the typical stock height, stock length drive shaft come in at. It seems like 27 3/4" should be fairly close. Either way tho, I ordered the 4" RE hybrid kit from DPG just now w/RE hack & tap and drive shaft, belly skid, adjustable bump-stop plates, RE monotube shocks and JKS HD track bar. I figured JKS should be pretty trustworthy since our very own Mark Hinkley is a big part of their enterprise... :D Can't tell the wife the cost....:explosion $2338 :eek:
I'll measure my shaft;) when I get home tonight and e-mail him the measurements.

BlackSport96 said:
I was mainly looking for what the typical stock height, stock length drive shaft come in at.

There are a ton of variables there too, and like 6 or so 'stock' lengths..

auto, manual, np231, np242, d35, d44, 8.25, early vs late model, etc.

My 96 with np231, aw4, and chrysler 8.25 measured at 27 5/8 to 27 3/4" u-joint center to u-joint center.

BlackSport96 said:
My 96 with np231, aw4, and chrysler 8.25 measured at 27 5/8 to 27 3/4" u-joint center to u-joint center.

Before I swaped axles, my 2001, np231, with 8.25, RE hack-n-tap SYE, and RE 5.5" ED lift measured 33.5 inches. Which is really close to what Cal had at 33 7/8. 27 5/8 sounds really short.

Sierra Drifter said:
Before I swaped axles, my 2001, np231, with 8.25, RE hack-n-tap SYE, and RE 5.5" ED lift measured 33.5 inches. Which is really close to what Cal had at 33 7/8. 27 5/8 sounds really short.

Just to be fully detailed

Mines an 87, aw4, np231, currie SYE, dana 44, somewhere between 6 and 7 inches of lift.

good luck w/ your shaft... I, like you decided to just go off "typical" measurements and well my shaft ended up being too long... Had to spend another $75.00 to shorten it b/c shipping back & forth was $$ and time consuming...

I would have waited until everything was installed and then ordered a shaft as was stated earlier... The turn around should be pretty quick... Hopefully your's will work out better than mine did...

Sierra Drifter said:
That's the stock length drive shaft.

uncc: Hopefully it'll come out better as DPG is making the new shaft and they also put together the kit. I'm hoping that since its all under one roof (figuratively speaking) that he'll have had enough experience to get a good measurement based on the stock length I sent him.

Back