• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper build mounting question

jeep/bronco

NAXJA Forum User
working on a bumper and trying to decide on the best way to mount. on the xj there is a hole in the uni that would accept a 3/4" bolt and then 2 3/8 or so. do yall think that using a 3/4" bolt and 2 3/8" on each side with a 3/16 plate that is welded to the actual bumper would hold up to the worst winching situation you could throw at it? i thought of even having a plate on the backside for the bolt to go through also. also planning to have a crossmember connecting the 2 mounting panels.
here is a drawing of the unibody and the holes i am considering using are circled. i know i edited the image upside down.
mounts.jpg

There should be 7 bolts total,and I see no need to use a 3/4" bolt.

If your going to have a winch up there use all the holes you can. I drilled all of mine out to 3/4 & 5/8 except the steering box bolts. Just have to swap them out for grade 8's is the next step.
IMG_0196.jpg

I run a 12k winch on my XJ & overkill everything I do. The hole your talking about is not sleaved through both sides of the unibody so your attaching your bumper to thin metal. Bolts need to go through both sides of the unibody rail.

I was just showing you what I did so take a Look around at any another well mounted bumper & you will see. Good luck!

jeep/bronco said:
you actually covered up the large diameter hole that i was thinking of using

Back