• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolts for control arm bushings

Jeff1

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone easily found the bolts for the lower control bushings? Fastenal doesn't carry them. Their sizes go from an M12 to an M16. The CA bushing bolts are M14. Tried the dealership as well and they don't stock them.
Fastenal says they don't stock automotive fasteners since they don't get many request for them. WTF? Where else you supposed to go?? Home Depot? Sorry...just venting.:flamemad:

Haha I just changed my lower control arms out (traded my 20-yr-old stockers for some 10-yr-old stockers with better rubber until I can lift 'er) and know what you're going through.

I found that 9/16" x 4" long GRADE 8 hardware works fine - the OE bolts (M14) are 14mm diameter (nominal) but acually mic out about 13.8mm just under the head of the bolt, and 12.8 after it necks down (wierd). 14mm = 0.5511", 9/16 = 0.5626 so the 9/16" should work for you.

Or plan B (which is what I did because I didn't think to try 9/16" until after I already had these on order) is to click over to www.mcmaster.com and order up part number 91310A796, which is a pack of 5, Class 10.9, Black Oxide M14 x 2.0 (dia x thread) x 100mm long.

If you want you can order 2 packs of 98040A108 which are (qty 5 per pack) 27mm OD, 14mm ID flat washers. I used them to help spread out the clamping force a little but you probably don't have to.

Finally you'll need 1 pack of 99899A231 which are M14x2, Class 10, blue oxide coated nuts. One pack = 5 nuts. Total = $30 with a bolt , washers and a nut left over. Not cheap but I know it's good hardware and since McMaster ships 98% of their stuff out of stock, it got here in 1 day (PA). You might be 2 days in IN but still quick. You could always wire wheel up your old bolts, but for a few bucks it's worth knowing that you have good hardware installed. And, the bolt diameter is slightly larger than the stock 12.8mm throughout the length of it for less play between the bolt and the bushing.

And all of those are 22 mm head, so get yourself a 22mm socket and wrench. Anti-sieze the entire bolt, tighten to 133 ft-lb and you're good to go!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about McMaster Carr.
I asked about a 9/16" at Fastenal and they don't have that in a flange bolt as well. Guess they should change their name to FastenSome.

oh and just for the record, the 2 rear lower CA bolts were removed with a cut off wheel. No amount of heat and PB blaster would budge those things.
The other two I'll take a wire wheel to.

Fastenal is THE WORST FASTNER PLACE EVER!!!!! They suck so bad. Find a small business fastener place to buy from, More chance they will have it and if they dont they will order it for you. Fastenal Sucks!!!! Bunch of whimpy bitch salesmen who dont know shit about what they are talking about. Not to mention the China junk they want to push.

McMaster doesn't have the flange head bolts, that's why I went with the 27mm OD washer. I did use just the M14 bolt head on my TJ, but the control arm mounts had smaller, ROUND holes than the XJ which has an slotted opening on the bracket with an inner mount w/a Round hole....anyway.

Back